Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 'm the proud new owner of '77 Python and would like to replace the ramp front sight with a partridge type.

1. Where can I get the new front sight

2. Would you trust a reasonably competent gunsmith to do the replacement or send it to Colt or even someone else to have it done?

Thanks guys - it's great to own a Colt again!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Try Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters at 412-766-6100. Front patridge blade for the Python runs $15. As to installation (and it's been awhile since I did one) you'll need the right size punch, a punch block is pretty handy too (think that's what it's called). Drift out the two pins, remove the ramp, insert the patridge, drift the pins back in. Probably not a bad idea to get two replacement pins just in case. If you are without punches, I'm sure any competent smith could do the exchange easily, maybe while you wait if you are polite!

I've not seen the patridge blade used without the Elliason rear sight assembly (versus the Accro which is standard on the Python). You might ask the folks at Pittsburgh about that.

Scott

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
NEWS FLASH:

Sportsman's Guide shooting catalog
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

Lists Colt Python Patridge front sights.
These are the old style with two holes.

Item number AX4A-71279, price is $7.97 for two.

I have Patridge sights on two of my Pythons, but they've been converted to a three-dot form by filing the rear face forward slightly
and putting in a paint-filled hole.

I DO use these with the original Accro rear sight, but the sight must be raised up higher.

Whether a Patridge will work with the Accro depends on the gun, and whether you don't like how high it sits.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Fellas - I've decided to install the partridge front sight and see how that works before messing with replacing the rear sight.

It is my understanding that Bo Mar does not make a drop in rear sight for the Python and that the gun would have to be modified to fit a Bo Mar to it. Do you guys concur??

I did find a drop in rear sight from Millett -
http://www.millettsights.com/series14.htm

Does anyone have any experience with this product?? Is it an improvement over the Accro or Elliason??

Thanks to the brain trust out there for the advice.

Paul

[This message has been edited by fpfiglia (edited 01-20-2004).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
I cannot speak to the Bo-Mar's for revolvers, but do have a "drop-in" Millet rear sight on a Smith revolver. The sight picture of the Millet is more like the Elliason, a flat surface with a notch compared to the Accro where the notched blade sits in the center of the assembly. It really comes down to your preference for the "view".

I do have Bo-Mar's on my National Match and to my eyes it gives an excellent sighting view.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks SEBco - From your description, what I presently have on my Python is the Accro since it is a notched blade contained within an assembly as opposed to the flat blade you described. Think I might try the Millett - now that I know the difference between apples and oranges.

Thanks again

·
Registered
69 Posts
Are you aware if this partridge front will fit the Python Elite with the single hole in the barrel rib?
Thanks,
ADP3

------------------
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.- Dwight D. Eisenhower

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
As is, NO.
The factory Patridge has two holes to fit the older guns.
You can, however, drill a new hole to fit the new single hole ramps.

All you need to do, is position the new front blade, and use a VERY thin scribe to mark the position of the hole.
Drill the new hole, and you're in business.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts