Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a question for all of you more knowledgeable gun owners. What do you thing about the rust on the front of this barrel and in the front of the trigger guard of this Python? Do you thing it's light surface rust or more serious (e.g. pitting?)::(

I'm thinking about buying it.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,463 Posts
ANY rust causes pitting.
Even what people think is just light "seed" rust or "just a light dusting" will have tiny pits where the rust was.
If you remove the rust from the pictured Python then look at it under magnification where the rust is will be missing blue and very tiny pits.
Rust, no matter how light IS pitting.

However, that may not be cause not to buy the gun. Rust can be removed and further rust prevented and you can have a nice shooter grade revolver.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You didn't mention what state you are in so "reasonable" is relative. In California that's probably a reasonable price, in a free state a little high in my opinion. I would be concerned that perhaps there is additional rust in places you can't see and where it may have more impact on the gun then aesthetics. Personally I would save a little more money and find one in better condition. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
why do people take pictures of their guns loaded? I don't know about that price being fair but pythons are expensive. I guess if I really wanted one and that was all I could afford I go after it. I would also offer less maybe $1100. I always offer less and most of the time it's accepted. BTW if the timing is off I would pass. I can't tell what make that rear sight is? Colt? at any rate not standard.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,463 Posts
I've given up trying to keep up with Python prices, but I'd think that's too much money for that one.

First, there is the rust and pitting, second the grips are not original and that's a definite down check on value.
I can't see the rear sight, but if it's not original that's another value down check.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Yes, it has rust. There are microscopic and larger ares of steel that have been eaten away.
Does that make it junk?
Absolutly not.
Is $1300 a fair price?
That is entirely up to you.
That thing will never be worth any less than it is right now.
Have cash in hand and maybe haggle a little.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.