Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the early days (pre-WWII) both Colt and S&W used what is known as the "Long action" where the hammer has a much longer travel.

After the war, S&W altered their actions to a "Short action" where the hammer when cocked, sits much farther forward, and has a quicker lock time.

Colt never redesigned the older guns to a shot action. Colt did change to a short action on the Trooper Mark V, King Cobra, and Anaconda revolvers.

I'm sure somebody did once offer short action conversions for the older Colt's, but I'd be very surprised if anyone is still doing it.

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
Colt did redesign the I-frame with a "short action," in the form of its single action option first introduced on the 8-inch Camp Perry. The short action single action feature was revived on the Officers Model Match. If one could find the parts, I assume one could install them on the Python.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks you guys - you are right. When looking at the SW and Python cocked and side by side - the difference in distance is amazing.

Do any of you think the Colt Performance Center could help???

Once again, thank you for your help.

Paul - In Denver

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gang

I've been using my brand new 6" Python (built in 1978) for the international center fire event for the past three months. I love this gun.

But, I notice that once the sear is disengaged (single action of course), it seems to take a loonngg time for the hammer to finish its travel to the firing pin. This is esp noticeable when doing a side by side comparison with say a S&W mod 14 or 19. (I'm not sure but I think this is referred to as "lock time"?)

Questions:

(1) Has anyone else ever done such a side by side comparison using the Python and another revolver?

(2) Is it possible to reduce the Python's lock time without butchering a beautiful original trigger?

(3) If it is possible, who would you entrust to do the job?

Thanks to the brain trust out there.

Paul - in Denver

1 - 4 of 4 Posts