Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Python(Mid 1980\'s)versus Colt OMT(.22)as most valuable(For collecting)?

Colt Python(Mid 1980's)versus Colt OMT(.22)in near mint condition, as to being the most valuable(For collecting)?

I realize that the Colt OMT(.22)is a pre-war revolver, that should be a better collectible gun than is the Colt Python? However, I wonder if(In view of the immense popularity, of any Python!)if this wouldn't shift the edge in value over to the Python?

Please give your viewpoints regarding the above?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Re: Python(Mid 1980\'s)versus Colt OMT(.22)as most valuable(For collecting)?

I would choose the Officer's Model. In my experience, these are getting harder to find in nice condition, whereas Pythons are much more common, even NIB. Also the .22 in the OMT is more desireable than the .38 cal. Why prices for Pythons have gone nuts (maybe doubling in ten years) I won't speculate, but mint pre-war Colt's should only get more scarce in coming years. Condition + rarity = collectible.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Python(Mid 1980\'s)versus Colt OMT(.22)as most valuable(For collecting)?

The OMT 22, hands down.

If you can gauge the rarity of a revolver by how often you see them at gun shows, I see 6-7 Pythons at every show whereas I might see 1 OMT, very rarely an OMT 22, and never one in mint original condition.

In general, 22's got shot a lot. Finding any pre-1950 high quality 22 revolver in mint condition is worth looking at really hard.

You could always just cut the gordian knot and buy both of them!

Good luck.

Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts