Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from an outing to the range with the newly acquired Python.

Stick a fork in me, I'm done with S&W. That is without a doubt the most comfortable .357 I've ever fired. I fired 100 rounds of 38 spl to make sure the gun was working correctly. The first 6 rounds did not hit paper. I have several revolvers that are like this after cleaning. From then on everything was on paper.

These were junk 38 spl rounds with 158 gr SWC's that they sell locally here. Not the best for accuracy as they aren't sized correctly. But the Python shot as accurately as any of my S&W revolvers.

The surprise were the full house .357 magnum rounds which were 170 gr SWC Keith style bullets. I won't even shoot those in any of my S&W revolvers. The gun absorbed the recoil like a sponge and those were very accurate.

I'm now sold on Colt and will not buy another revolver unless it is a Colt.

Even called Colt to see about having the gun refurbished this winter. Of course I will have a hard time putting it down from shooting to send it off. I see why the Python is called the Rolls Royce.

Joed

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah, joed, me too! A lot of us 'round here are Python fans, I guess. I was interested in what you mentioned about cleaning the gun and then it throws bullets ... The only gun I ever had that I could shoot better than I do with a Python was a custom built, spare parts .45, done by the then-pistol coach at the US Military Acadamy. (I wasn't a cadet - just stationed there. But I was on the infomal, evenings-for-fun pistol team) This same coach cringed when I'd clean my guns and call me, "Grandma!" Somewhat different from what other sergeants had instructed about cleaning guns! It does seem he was right, though. His own guns were filthy! And he NEVER had ANYONE clean any guns in the armory ... S&W #41's, walls of match grade .45's and ONE S&W K-38! NONE of them ever got cleaned and that's the way he liked it. Really!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:
I was interested in what you mentioned about cleaning the gun and then it throws bullets ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the last 10 months I've been going through about 150 rounds a week at the local range. I've noticed every gun I own does the same thing, the first 6 shots will rarely even hit where they should. It's exceptionally bad in a 2.5 inch barreled S&W revolver that I own, that one takes 12 shots to hit where it should. Most hit low for those first shots. The Python is a new gun to me so I'm not really sure where it hit for the first 6 but for my money I'd bet low.

After shooting I wire brush the bores with Hoppe's and run cloth patches through the bores until clean. I had a friend that would only dry brush his bores for this reason.

I once asked people about this and I was told that wire brushing alone still leaves the fouling and doesn't do much to clean the bore. Maybe only running a dry cloth patch through the bore and cylinder would be a better method.

Joed

·
Registered
18 Posts
You lucky guys, I'm jealous. I have been looking for a python for awhile to add to my colts but in screwy Kalifornia they arent on the drop test - except for the 6" stainless steel & even those are next to impossible to find. I keep searching for a nice 4" or 6" Colt Blue one... Someday
until then I will enjoy reading about your shooting.

Watch your six

Simon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts