Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang:

I'm new to the forum so be gentle.

I'm considering the purchase of a Python Elite w/6" bbl. However, I found out yesterday that a fellow club member has a new in box 1980-1985 edition Python he wants to sell.

1. What would be a fair price for the older model?

2. What if any differences are there between the quality of the new Elite compared to the previous Pythons??

3. What's the best current price anyone has been able to find for the new Elite in 6" blue?

4. In my consideration of purchasing the older one, are there any particular serial numbers or sequences I should avoid or look for??

Thanks gang!

Paul

Bailey, Colorado

[email protected]

------------------
F. Paul Figlia - Attorney at Law
[email protected]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks WS23 - very informative thread.

I'm assuming then that you're not aware of any design or features that would make the newest rendition (Elite) preferable to a new in box one manufactured in the 80's.

Thanks again for the very helpful info.

Paul

[This message has been edited by fpfiglia (edited 12-30-2003).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gang, I must chime in here before our new friend makes a big mistake. Everyone is aware that I'm in love with the classic Pythons. I own a nickel 1959 model and a blued 1956. I will not shoot the 59 since it is mint and it makes my palms sweat when I hold it. The 56 model is sweet. The trigger pull is like silk, it has the high rib, the expensive full checkered stocks, hollow lug and the early hand craftsmanship. If you locate a Python with a serial number lower than 9100 (no prefix or suffix) then you have found a gem. Many can be found in 98%+ condition under $900. I purchased both of these Pythons this year for $675 and $900. Ask yourself this before you purchase. Seek and purchase a gem or plunk your money down on any dealer counter and purchase an Elite. Sorry gents, this is a no brainer.

fpfiglia, Please advise if I can be of assistance.

Vipereater

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vipereater wrote:

<<Gang, I must chime in here before our new friend makes a big mistake. . . Please advise if I can be of assistance.
>>

I think you already have Vipereater and thanks for considering me a friend.

Hopefully I can provide you with a serial number to take advantage of your offer to help prior to making my decision.

Paul

·
Registered
18 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vipereater:
I own a nickel 1959 model and a blued 1956. I will not shoot the 59 since it is mint and it makes my palms sweat when I hold it. The 56 model is sweet. The trigger pull is like silk, it has the high rib, the expensive full checkered stocks, hollow lug and the early hand craftsmanship. If you locate a Python with a serial number lower than 9100 (no prefix or suffix) then you have found a gem. Many can be found in 98%+ condition under $900. I purchased both of these Pythons this year for $675 and $900. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are a lucky man to have found 2 such beauties! Here in CA finding any Python is almost impossible and the going rate for a 1970's V serial #, which seems to be the most common as I have seen 4 of these at dealers that could or would not sell them in CA, is $1300. I have pretty much given up on getting any Pythons until I leave this state

Simon

------------------

·
Registered
95 Posts
The new Python Elites that I have seen have been priced around $1100. I have a hard time justifying $1100 for a new Python when I can find excellent condition used Pythons for $600 to $800. There is a gunshop in my area that has a blued 8" Python for $799 and there is almost no wear visible on this specimen. Why pay $300 more just for a box and the "Elite" name? I would shop around for a nice, used Python before giving up the extra cash for a new one, but maybe that's just me.

By the way, I already have a nice 8" Python, so the one at my local shop can go to someone else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stans:
The new Python Elites that I have seen have been priced around $1100. I have a hard time justifying $1100 for a new Python when I can find excellent condition used Pythons for $600 to $800. There is a gunshop in my area that has a blued 8" Python for $799 and there is almost no wear visible on this specimen. Why pay $300 more just for a box and the "Elite" name? I would shop around for a nice, used Python before giving up the extra cash for a new one, but maybe that's just me.

By the way, I already have a nice 8" Python, so the one at my local shop can go to someone else.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where do you live Stans, maybe I should relocate to your state :) Been thinking of AZ or TX at present.

Simon

------------------

·
Registered
95 Posts
Virginia, the central portion of the state to be more specific. Virginia is a somewhat gun friendly state at the moment, CCW permits are issued as long as you don't have something in your history such as a felony conviction, domestic violence conviction or mental condition. Downside in VA, the one handgun per month thing. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to keep purchasing one handgun every month?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Where do you live Stans, maybe I should relocate to your state :) Been thinking of AZ or TX at present.

Simon<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Simon,
Where about in AZ were you thinking ?
We're pretty gun friendly down here.
About 20 or more gun shows a year and no permits,waiting periods or limits.
Drop me a line, I'm a Realtor down here.
Maybe I can help with your decision.
Jeff (TOYKWAZY)
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
By the way Simon, working with people out of state is no problem.
I just wrote a contract for a women in WA on New Years Eve. She has not seen the house other than pictures.
Thanks again, Jeff

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gang,

Just picked up the Python I mentioned last week (when I started this thread). It is a beauty. Never been fired (until last night that is) no rust. Perfect shape - price $700 with box and all original documents.

I used much of the information I found in the archives to inspect tuning etc etc and am very grateful to all of you who contributed.

Questions:

1. What can you tell me about serial number 561xxE

2. What suggestions do you have to to change out the front sight to a partridge type. Where can I get the necessary parts?

Thanks to all of you folks!!

Paul

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Stans the 1 gun a month program turned out not to be so bad. The last few months of the year found me running back and forth to the State Police office getting Multi-Purchase requests. My bank account has begun to sweat now. This year I'm going to try to be a faithful law abider before I go totally broke.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts