Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I just noticed a small chip/removal of the nickle on the muzzle of my 4" Nickle Python revolver. I am not the original purchaser of this gun; it was not there when I bought the gun. I read some of the threads relating to nickle finish guns. Since my shooting is not affected in any way, I have not pursued, until now, seeking a way to get subject repaired. Any suggestions & can you indicate cost to repair it?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would say keep it protected - lube or perhaps better yet, wax. Sure you will get more comments. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
Any nickle plated revolver is going to get chips on the front of the muzzle and the front of the cylinder.

These areas are subject to blast damage caused by firing.
Simply put, the incandescent gases and blast literally blast small bits of nickel off.

There is really nothing you can do to prevent it short of not firing it.
This is just one downside to nickel plating.

There is nothing you can do to "patch" or repair the damage other than a complete strip and re-plating.
Of course, as soon as you start shooting the gun, the damage starts over again.

Bottom line, if you want an unblemished show gun, don't shoot it.
If you want to shoot it, it's going to show damage. When it gets bad enough, have it refinished.
In truth, the damage won't get that bad for a LONG time, it will show wear to the finish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A1A,
Thank you for responding. I saw this thread, too. I had no idea a factory nickle gun (especially a Colt Python!) could be prone to chipping. It was purchased 'like new.' I have not fired more than 250 rounds of .38S (wadcutters) & .357 Mag's thru it. I had a factory nickle S&W 4" Model 29 (.44 Mag) which did not have a chipping problem. I've now been swayed into believing that a good factory nickle gun, like a S&W Model 29 or Colt Python, are for collecting while one for shooting should be either stainless steel or blue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dfariswheel,

A "Super Thank You" for your response!
Do you agree with my last sentence response to A1A?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
Not necessarily.
ALL guns will deteriorate in some fashion when fired.
Blue gun are not only subject to bluing wear on the muzzle and cylinder face, and around the rear of the barrel and frame area, they are more susceptible to wear every where else.

Stainless guns develop scratches rather easily.

Bright nickel was originally used for both appearance and because it was at least somewhat more durable than bluing, especially in the black powder days.
It does have downsides, and flaking is one.

While it does have flaking and chipping problems, especially in areas subject to blast damage, a nickel gun will usually look better longer than an equally used blue gun.
It's just that any damage to the brilliant plating is more noticeable than the usual blue wear, even though the total blue wear may actually be more advanced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts