Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
No. Not original.

Also, whoever made them was unable to center the screw hole in the diamond, which is really unfortunate. The fake box isn't helping. The good news is it is unfired………since the last guy bought it……..because that guy said he never fired it.

I don't know if I would classify this listing as a "great opportunity" as the seller is suggesting.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thanks, I guess "buyer beware" when collecting this particular firearm. Seller even has a great rating on GB.
If your looking for your first python, I stongly suggest you keep doing what you are. Post pics, ads, questions, anything you can cause there are a lot of fake items out there. The people on this site will help a bunch.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
For anyone that wants to know what a refinished nickel Python looks like, here it is. Notice the unusual gaps where the side plate mates with the frame. The pony and barrel roll marks are significantly washed-out. What can others detect in these rather poor photos?

Yes, I believe this is a re-nickeled Python with aftermarket stocks in a reproduction box. This seller often has some pretty remarkable Colts and Smiths but one of these stinkers shows up from time to time.

·
Premium Member
21,835 Posts
For anyone that wants to know what a refinished nickel Python looks like, here it is. Notice the unusual gaps where the side plate mates with the frame. The pony and barrel roll marks are significantly washed-out. What can others detect in these rather poor photos?

Yes, I believe this is a re-nickeled Python with aftermarket stocks in a reproduction box. This seller often has some pretty remarkable Colts and Smiths but one of these stinkers shows up from time to time.
Kanatak, Good eyes! Those gaps are quite large.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the spirit of learning, I missed out on this auction due to the holiday. This seems like a very good example of early 70s manufacture. My question is, as the finish as "mirrored" do you believe this finish to be original or one that was recently re-blued. I ask because it seems that those 60s to early 70s guns typically do not exhibit such a mirrored quality but perhaps if kept in a safe the entire time, it would be like factory fresh.

Colt Python Royal Blue 6" A BEAUT! with orig box : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
In the spirit of learning, I missed out on this auction due to the holiday. This seems like a very good example of early 70s manufacture. My question is, as the finish as "mirrored" do you believe this finish to be original or one that was recently re-blued. I ask because it seems that those 60s to early 70s guns typically do not exhibit such a mirrored quality but perhaps if kept in a safe the entire time, it would be like factory fresh.

Colt Python Royal Blue 6" A BEAUT! with orig box : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
it appears to me that this blue one is genuine. I am no way an expert. The mirror like finish is easy to obtain on a Python blue with a simple rubbing on some Flitz and wiping it off with a cloth. Which is what they probably did.

·
Registered
929 Posts

While I have no belief whatsoever that the box or grips are original, I don't really understand how this is a "definitive" re nickel from those crappy pics. It may be but you're eyes are way better than mine if you can tell that. JMHO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.