Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all! New ColtForum member here and I need help. I have plenty of semi-autos and have been shooting for years. I own or have owned, Kimber, Springfiled, Ruger, Glock, HK, etc. all in the SA category. I have decided I want a good revolver. I looked at the S&W revolvers but I keep getting referred to the Colt Python and have been told it is the finest revolver available. I have settled on either the King Cobra which I found for around $800 or the Python which I know will run more. Does anyone have any recommendations? I do plan to carry it from time to time but really want I want to know is if there is a big difference between the two guns other than the price? Is Colt still making the Python in their Custom Shop and can my local dealer probably get it? Is the King Cobra crap or is it a great gun too? I just dont have much exp with revolvers.
Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Both are very good revolvers. The KC has a newer, less labor intensive action and is considered one of the strongest medium framed .357s on the market. The Python has the action which originated around the beginning of the 1900s and is silky smooth. The amount of hand work involved in making a Python is what makes for it's high price.
The Python does come from the Custom Shop now, but production has been temporarily suspended and new models are hard to find now. Hopefully next year they will go back into production.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info! I found a KC for about $800 brand new with a brushed ss finish. Is that too much or is that normal?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: Python or King Cobra? New to Colts and need he

$800 is way too much for a King Cobra. Great gun but that one is overpriced. $450 to $550 is probably the norm for LNIB.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

well I traded a POS gun I had and paid $50 bucks for a used King Cobra, no box.Looks ok to me. Cleaned it up really nice and had to replace the COlt grips because they had been over tightened and the inside nut can loose. Put some Hougues on that are great and fit perfect but will look for some Pacs maybe. We will see how it does at the range.

·
Registered
115 Posts

JPA,

Don't pay $800 for a KC, that is way too much, for that amount you can find a really nice older Python. The KC is a Ford or Chevy while the Python is the Rolls Royce. Pick one up and compare it to anything else in the shop and you will see what I mean. I just bought a custom shop Python Elite unfired, unturned, and NIB for $800 (yeah, I know I stole it, but the seller was motivated)and picked up a 6" made in 1970 in fantastic condition a while back for $750. There are good deals out there on Pythons if you are patient and take your time. The difference between the Python and the Trooper MKIII-MKV action pistols is like night and day. The Pythons are the finest DA revolvers ever made. Let us know what you end up buying.

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts