Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Folks;

When were th K prefix serial number Pythons manufactured? I know it was the 1980s more or less.

I got a bunch of serial numbers through 1978 if anyone needs them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
let,s see....hmmm ...pythons...

year serial#
1955 1
1956 300
1957 1650
1958 5550

that makes it late 1957....good year for a colt or a chevy!

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
545XX would be 1966, not very early 1957 as would a four-digit serial number in the 54XX range.

(What is a factor of ten among friends?)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I just picked up a 4" blue Python today.
Very clean, tight lock-up and mint wood grips with the gold medallions. Does anybody know the year for sn# V77XXX ? Thanks in advance. Clark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pointman, I picked up this one for $750. It's realy clean, perfect royal blue finish with the slightest turn line. The wood grips are near new and no wear on the gold medallions. I've been looking a while and prices range from $700 to $900 for nice ones.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This too good to resist. The talk about $700 to $800 Pythons reminds that in 1965, I bought a NIB Python for $100 from a legitimate dealer. The regular price was $125, but Colt gave a $25 discount to LEO's. That compared to the top of the line S&W .357, which retailed for $87.95, if I remember correctly. I had to make four monthly payments in order to buy it, but the dealer let me take it with me when I gave him the $25.00 down payment.
After about 15 years of holster wear, I had it re-blued. After 20 years, I had to switch to a Sig 220, which the department issued.
The Python is still resting in the original box with the bill of sale. It still shoots as well as the day I fired the first shot.
There are two other Pythons in my background but those stories will have to wait.
NO, IT IS NOT FOR SALE AT ANY PRICE!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Great story! That is why guns are a great investment if you keep them long enough. For further cost comparison, I recently bought a NIB Python manufactured in 1978 from a retired dealer for $1,200. I actually traded two guns plus $$$ for it. It had been sitting in his basement for the last 25 years still in factory wrap/box.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Those stocks look like they have been refinished to me. (Too much finish in the checkering.) Still, if you have a Python that needs this middle style of wood stocks, it would be hard to pass them up.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey,
A complete list of those serial without having to go to the book is a great idea. Carrying a book around at the shows can get you strange looks around here at times.
Now I just have to find a 4 or 6" nickel I can afford.

------------------
An Armed Society Is A
Polite Society

1 - 16 of 16 Posts