Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are molds for Colt Pythons available? I am considering making up some presentation boxes, but do not want to use the real gun. Guess I'd be interested in either an already molded insert, or a mold to make up the insert. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey beave, I can't really answer your question but I do have an idea.

There are some pretty cheap air, BB, paintball, or pellet guns that are made to look exactly like a Python. I'm not positive but I believe I read at one time that many were the same dimensions as the real Python.

If you spend 25 bucks on one, you can use it as your insert to make your mold. And if it gets ruined, no big deal. If it doesn't get ruined, you and use it around the yard to let the neighborhood dogs and cats know they are not welcome, without hurting them.

Here is one such example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31686&item=7121442661&rd=1 but maybe Midway or other places sell them too.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
There are several options.
First is a "toy" Python like one of the airsoft guns, or one of the pellet guns made by Crossman.

Another is one of the aluminum guns used by holster makers to mold holsters to a specific gun.

These are getting hard to find.
The last source I knew of was Duncan Custom Guns in Michigan.

I don't have any contact info, and I'm not even sure they are still in business.

Another option is to make your own model.
To do this, use a real Python and some clay to make a mold.
Fill it with some epoxy or some type of casting material.

I'd probably make the mold in two pieces and just glue the two halves together to form a three dimensional Python.

Of course, all this depends on just how detailed a model you need.
If you're making an American-fit compartmented case or a French-fit "pillow" type, you could make the model out of a slab of wood.

The model really doesn't need to have any details at all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey I like these ideas. I am away from home for a few days, but look forward to researching them when I get back. I did think about one of the air guns, but didn't know if they were to scale or not. I'm sure that this would probably be less expensive that buying an aluminum mold, and I don't really know if I could bring myself to molding clay around one of mine. I think it will be an interesting project for the New Year.
Thanks for the suggestions!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts