Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cleaning out some boxes I had in storage I came across a Nov.1983 copy of Shotgun News.I started looking at Python prices just so I would end up with a serious headache.I will list some of what I found and who was selling at that price.I didn't get all the way thru the magazine so there may be updates if I find anything interesting.

Ashland Shooting Supplies,Ohio
6" blue $409.95 Coltguard $379.95
Silver Snake 4" or 6" $449.95
8" Target blue or nickel $299.95 closeout price WOW

Dave's House of Guns,TX
2 1/2" blue $369

Bill's House of Guns,Wisc.
4" Coltguard $414.95
2 1/2" blue $374.95 3" blue add $5.00

Talk about the good old days.Where is the good Doctor from Back To The Future when you need him? D*

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
While cleaning out some boxes I had in storage I came across a Nov.1983 copy of Shotgun News.I started looking at Python prices just so I would end up with a serious headache.I will list some of what I found and who was selling at that price.I didn't get all the way thru the magazine so there may be updates if I find anything interesting.

Ashland Shooting Supplies,Ohio
6" blue $409.95 Coltguard $379.95
Silver Snake 4" or 6" $449.95

Dave's House of Guns,TX
2 1/2" blue $369

Bill's House of Guns,Wisc.
4" Coltguard $414.95
2 1/2" blue $374.95 3" blue add $5.00

Talk about the good old days.Where is the good Doctor from Back To The Future when you need him? D*
Well, Delorean went belly up so you'll have to find another means of time travel....:D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Everything is relative, in 1983 I was 20 poor and those might as well have been 10000 dollars, now I am 50, very comfortable with money, and can stand the prices that the best revolvers ever made bring. :cool:

·
Registered
800 Posts
WoW those prices are really something. Too bad I was -2 in 1983, and my first stainless python was $1400 with no box. In 20 years, who knows what it will be worth.

·
Administrator
7,330 Posts
Back then the 38 Spl 8" Target was pardon me , "A dog" . We had 3-4 in the store and it took a couple years to sell them .

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
That really hurts, because back in 1983 I had the cat by the short hairs. I was on the job, single, making decent money and was buying and selling guns like there was no tomorrow. I remember picking up new Pythons for $300.00 with my police discount at the local GS. What I lacked back then was the vision. Back then I never dreamed a Colt Python would be worth so much now. I never thought any of the guns I bought , sold, or traded would ever fetch some of the prices they do now. I bought little Colt .25s for 75-100 bucks back then . We carried them in our uniform shirt pockets as back up pieces. 1911s I purchased sometimes 2 or 3 at a time. I took many older Colts in trade, 2 inch 357s, nickel plated 2 inchers. I had a Detonic Combat Master in SS that sold for no reason other than I was bored with it. Deals that I kick myself now for not just putting the guns away. I had a very clean Colt 2 inch blue revolver in .38 S&W. That I got from an old timer on the job as he was retiring. The gun was pristine, in the box. I did not like old guns back then, it wore the black hard rubber stocks. I shot the gun, and it shot fine. I cleaned it and gave it to a relative to keep in their tavern under the bar. I think I gave the old timer like $50.00. If I could go back to 1982 again, and know about guns what I do now. I would have some collection my friends. But, such is life. SMH!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
There is a 4" Silver Snake!! NOOOOOOOOO!!! There goes $15k of my retirment, let the hunt begin!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Even at 65 I clearly remember those adds in Shotgun News. In fact I was telling a friend just this past weekend how they used to try and dump the 8 inch Pythons.
As stated before it's all relative. Could barely afford one then and now that I am retired and financially comfortable, it is still somewhat of a luxury to buy any Python at todays prices. I have been fortunate enough to collect some before the high demand.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I remember around 1957 when colt ads said the SAA and the pythons were $125s and that looked like thousands back then. I emember buying gas durring a gas war roughly in that era for 11 cents a gallon! Now a tank of gas is more than I paid for my first three jalopys! When I was a kid I worked for a truck farmer for 35 cents a hour, they told me I wasnt worth 25 cents and screwed me out of that! The farmer ran off with another woman to california and still owes me $12s! No doubt he`s dead of old age but if I ever ran across him I would probley kick the stuffing out of him just for old times sake. That was a couple weeks work crawling on my knees weeding or whatever.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I'll worsen the wounds. From the 1965 Gun Digest

Colt Python 2.5",4" or 6" Royal Blue revolver 125.00 ; Nickled 137.50

Colt SAA : BCH 125.00 ; Nickled 137.50

Dective Special : Blued 69.50 ; Nickled 76.45

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I have a Martin B retting catalog from 1953 and I can barely stand to look at it. German 98 Mauser sniper with claw mount scope 95.00, German G41 45.00, US 1903 sniper rifle with Warner & Swazey scope 85.00, Colt 1860 Army 55.00,Colt SAA grade1 75.00, Colt New service grade1 42.50. It just goes on and on. Martin B retting is still in business but their prices are different.

·
Registered
620 Posts
In 1983 i was 22 and made $335 per week, about the cost of one of the Pythons listed. Today I make much more than that. Seems like I should be buying a lot more Pythons.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
While cleaning out some boxes I had in storage I came across a Nov.1983 copy of Shotgun News.I started looking at Python prices just so I would end up with a serious headache.Ashland Shooting Supplies,Ohio6" blue $409.95 Coltguard $379.95Silver Snake 4" or 6" $449.958" Target blue or nickel $299.95 closeout price WOW Dave's House of Guns,TX2 1/2" blue $369 Bill's House of Guns,Wisc.4" Coltguard $414.952 1/2" blue $374.95 3" blue add $5.00 D*
Back then for me , at those prices, those Pythons might as well have been made of "Unobtainium", rather than steel!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I want to say in 1986 I purchased new my 6" stainless python for $600. I should be mad for not getting a good deal right?

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
I graduated high school in 1983. I remember that new SAAs were advertised in Shotgun News for about $450. I wanted one sooooo badly! My father said he would buy me one for a combination graduation, Christmas and birthday present. That would basically take me from May 1983 through February 1984. I jumped for joy. Then he said, "No, I don't think you'll be happy with one present for all those occasions." I begged and begged, but he said no. I wanted to beat my head into a brick wall!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh the days when Shotgun News actually had prices in it. One ad from those days is still stuck in my head. Someone was selling brand new M-60's for $1995 plus Tax Stamp of course. Visions of Rambo ran through my head. Of course I wasn't anywhere near old enough to fill out ATF paperwork and no matter how much I tried to talk dad into it he wouldn't bite.

·
Administrator
7,330 Posts
Someone was selling brand new M-60's for $1995 plus Tax Stamp of course.
Would've had to have been a dealer sample . Not fully transferable other than to a dealer . Unless it was a cut and welded re-mfg gun . Atleast that's how I understand the process .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts