Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guy's think. Are the prices on Python's still climbing or have they eased off a bit? What about other "snake" guns. It seems to me Diamondback's have come down in price some.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
The high condition guns continue to rise but the more pedestrian Pythons seem to have reached a peak or maybe even eased back a little.JMO D*

Reactions: TFlyboy

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
i think they reached there peak and are coming down some
high end colts will still see weak minds( like a alcoholic, better yet coltaholic:bang_wall:) with strong bank funds being bought up & hoarded hoping another coltaholic will come by/buy and pay more than he did.
it has slowed down a lot since last summer.

i think the next run will be high end pre-series 70's 1911a1 and high end pre 60/70 revolvers.

JMHO it is what it is ( a shot in the dark;) )

·
Registered
57 Posts
Spotted a clean early 80's 6" blued Python for sale through the local classified. Didn't even have colt grips on it, box and paperwork not included. Asking price was $1500. Called the guy first thing to meet. By the time I got off work, three people had been offering him money, in a bid to buy.......seller stated he sold for $2300 after the add had been posted for 3 hours. Eased off? No fevered interest.

·
Registered
979 Posts
People have been saying that these guns have reached their peak for the last 5 years it seems like. Buyers want to tell you that the guns are coming down in price so that they can buy it for less, and the people with the gun want to continue to sell for top dollar. It is simple supply and demand

The SUPPLY is a fixed number and if anything the supply curve is only going down. Most of the guns are simply NOT FOR SALE, which only further limits the available market. With these guns people are paying for the AVAILABILITY of even being allowed the opportunity to purchase the gun.

With a fixed supply curve that can only go downward, then the only variable left in the equation is demand, So I will let you tell me what you think will happen over time...

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
The last 2 years or so, these things have gone nutty. Economics being what they are, I would be in a position to spread a little wealth at 2010-2011 prices, but not in this market.
I was hot to secure a shooter Python for my son. Nothin' special, just a decent revolver to occupy some space in his safe, and get shot with great regularity. Not gonna be anytime soon at the current state of affairs, I suspect.
I am relegated to scrounging around for the less popular models, and even those will have to be in 'used' but not 'used-up' shape. No worries. The sun also rises.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Speaking as one of those stupid people with deep pockets that have been buying recently. I buy the best my wallet can afford and pay above others if it is special.. This being said what is market value on unique. Since we are talking about Pythons some of the members would pay what most would say is a ridiculous amount for a two digit first year gun with box and papers? 10k/15/20?... Is this crazy... Not for the one the spent the money... Point is the rare stuff will always be valuable plus or minus what we pay and it is my opinion if some overpays by 10 to 30% it will even out in time and and the good ones ALWAYS go up in value... My though on the subject is you pay once and enjoy for a life time..Now as an example 1981 25k Pythons were manufactured in various forms... None of them will be unique in the way a first year or any of the fifties gun are.. This being said a Target Nickel (1981?) is a definite on my list and a hard one to make happen in California....

Does a person need to spend big money to buy a rare gun? NO!! Example: I recently purhased a Police Positive .32 made in 1950.. Not a particularly rare gun (32 is more unusual) but what was suppose to be a service gun mine is unfired (picture attached).. I paid 995... Some would say how can you over pay like that? My response is find me another that looks like this and I will pay again!...

Back to the question. Are prices going down... No, but they may be leveling off on common guns.. The common were never valuable in the first place with the exception of complete and unfired perfect,near perfect without boxes or very unusual examples...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I see allot of DB'S going un sold and the ones that do are going for cheaper then just 8 months ago. In the last month i purchased a pristine 38 spl 2 1/2 blue DB for $1,000 and a 4' Nickle 38spl 97% cond for $875 deals are out there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I believe that just like the rest of the vintage and collectable gun market, only the best (the early guns, guns in 99%+, and rare varieties) will hold their value, the pedestrian revolvers/shooters will level out and maybe even drop as they are just too many of them around. Just take a look at GB to see how many are for sale any given day.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I was offered 2200 for my stainless 4in no box or paper, it was a grin moment but I wont sell at that. I think the brushed pythons are in demand because that alot of minor inperfections can be worked out, no trip back to Colt for that 400 dollar royal treatment. I love my pythons, am I looking for anything at the moment, no, but I would like another snub, hope springs eternal, I might find a shooter.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I think the end is here my friends! Business is in the tank and I haven't sold a Snake Gun for $.01 more than I paid for it for months. Ready to shut the whole operation down and go back to gardening. I think everyone should immediately sell their Snake Guns to me and Bail Out Now WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!! I'm the only Dumb person on the planet still buying them at this moment but hurry...There is only 4.3 Million in the Gun account and it will be gone soon when you all line up to sell me your guns. Hurry my friends, HURRY.

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
Here in southern AZ, "rough to average" condition shooters are still going for low to mid teens ($1100 -$1400) and seem to sell VERY quickly when advertised.

What's taken a HUGE price jump lately is the King Cobras. They've gone from the $600/$800 range to $1200/1500 in just the past year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.