Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. Has anyone seen the prices Python are traded lately? What do you think about it?

·
Registered
491 Posts
What are they too high or too low?

I looked last week and they seemed pretty reasonable. I was tempted to buy one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know they aren't "rare", but they can be scarce. I was at a local gunshow over the weekend and there was not a single Python to be had anywhere. I was contemplating selling my ss Python (1983 vintage)and checking out local prices. None to check.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I saw few 4 inch and six 6 inch going between $700 and $1200. Hard to figure.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I know they aren't "rare", but they can be scarce. I was at a local gunshow over the weekend and there was not a single Python to be had anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some RARE Pythons. But the ones I posted prices on are NOT rare ones and they were all bringing $1700 or more. All very recent auctions as well.
No common Pythons are scarce, they're just sitting in peoples safes. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If you think 4 & 6 inch tubed Pythons are scarce, you just are not looking in the right places, askin' the right people, or wavin' enough cash.

How many do you want ?
Maybe a better question is, how many can you afford ?

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
177 Posts
You are entirely right. There are plenty of Pythons out there, most just aren't for sale at bargain prices. There will apparently never be any more Pythons than there are right now. The number of people wanting them and willing to pay a steep price for one will determine the value. Right now, it looks like that value is going up pretty rapidly.

·
Registered
705 Posts
And to think I put my pre suffix, 1962 4" up here for sale. Asking $1100 and then down to $950 with hardly any intrest. I think I'll keep it. I sure would love to have a nickel 2 1/2" er though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
BBBS: If you find one, find one for me too. I want a short nickel one too. But I need to hold out for a bargain-priced one. In mint condition, of course! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
And to think I put my pre suffix, 1962 4" up here for sale. Asking $1100 and then down to $950 with hardly any intrest.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's like fishing. You have to come up with some really scarce bait to get the big boys interested in taking a bite. We have all seen too many really good deals. As you have probably noticed most here are sort of picky and been in the game for a while. It would probably be rather shocking at what you would find in all the collections here. Just look at the thread about the first year .357s and how many of them belong to this small group. Don't worry though as there are plenty of others out there waiting in line to jump on a deal like that.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
This is what I have noticed on the auction sites:

Say there are 5 guns on there around $800 each. Along comes gun #6 and it is priced for $1400. Now, seller #6 probably knows he can't get that right away but is content to wait. The sellers for the other guns notice the higher price and start creeping theirs up also. Before you know it, all guns are listed for $1400. And, to top it off, a new person starting to post on the site will see all guns for $1400 and list his for the same price.

The auctions sites are great for getting access to guns you can't find locally. Sometimes you can get good deals, but you gotta watch constantly. I prefer Gunsamerica to gunbroker.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer Gunsamerica to gunbroker.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand the preference for stated price with some conversation vs the bidding frenzy, but of late many GA asking prices also appear outrageous to me. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
88 Posts
well last gun show i went to i didnt see any nice colts,so i came home with my first old smith its a nickel 6 inch
27-2 new in the wood case.it is made in the usa and its nice.

·
Registered
582 Posts
So if those overpriced, regular plain-metal Pythons are too boring, here's a gold plated one.
http://gatguns.safeshopper.com/7/1237.htm?780
Somehow, the price doesn't even seem so bad.
They also have a 2 1/2 inch Python with a really good Metalife hard chrome finish for $800.
Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts