Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 4" python shooter with stock grips. My question is do you guys think I could buy one of these with my budget of $1500? I have one available to me but the grips have been sanded down to accommodate a speed loader ans also has bluing wear from a holster. I am trying to buy one and stay at the budget of $1500 do you think that is a realistic goal?

Jim - Signal_20

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sure it is but the key word is "shooter" now they'll be different levels of shooter grade and the more patient you are and harder you look will determine how nice of one you find. It can def be done though.....good luck!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I sold a really nice shooter 4in blue about 8 months ago. Probably a 90% rev. but the grips werent org, for 1250 which looking back was too low but I had another gun deal going and had two 4in blues at the time, there are still some shooters left out there in ur price range, just keep looking. U will find a guy like me.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Buy the best condition Python you can afford on your budget/target price even if the stocks/grips aren't correct. You can save up and get correct stocks later or buy aftermarket that may very well fit your shooting style differently. Concentrate on #1) Mechanical condition and then #2) Finish condition. You are, after all, looking for a shooter and not a safe queen. With replacement parts getting harder to acquire you want the specimen you purchase to be one that has all the appearances of being shot the least.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
It seems to me that you should be able to accomplish this if you realize that the important thing is mechanical condition.and finish is secondary.You are looking for a shooter so things like holster wear or shaved grips shouldn't even enter into the equation.Also expect to spend alot of time + to do ALOT OF LOOKING.When I was looking for my Cobra I had VERY LIMITED FUNDS.I looked for close to a year before I found it.For 325 dollars I got a 1960 Cobra with honest holster wear,tight timing, lock up,and original grips #'ed to the gun.The search will be the fun part....Good luck.

·
Banned
354 Posts
Buy the best condition Python you can afford on your budget/target price even if the stocks/grips aren't correct. You can save up and get correct stocks later or buy aftermarket that may very well fit your shooting style differently. Concentrate on #1) Mechanical condition and then #2) Finish condition. You are, after all, looking for a shooter and not a safe queen. With replacement parts getting harder to acquire you want the specimen you purchase to be one that has all the appearances of being shot the least.
What he said!

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
It seems to me that you should be able to accomplish this if you realize that the important thing is mechanical condition.and finish is secondary.You are looking for a shooter so things like holster wear or shaved grips shouldn't even enter into the equation.Also expect to spend alot of time + to do ALOT OF LOOKING.When I was looking for my Cobra I had VERY LIMITED FUNDS.I looked for close to a year before I found it.For 325 dollars I got a 1960 Cobra with honest holster wear,tight timing, lock up,and original grips #'ed to the gun.The search will be the fun part....Good luck.
I agree with this and other's commments on shooters.. Mechanics first, finish second.. I have a Cobra story just like this one.. It is my preferred carry gun.. Who cares if it gets a little more beat up and it always goes bang at the range. For what it's worth, my favorite range gun is an early 3-5-7 that runs like a clock and and is about 50% blue and 50% polished steel / patina.. Just gorgeous! And I can't hurt it's finish. I love it as much as it's safe queen cousins.. Maybe more. Finally, the hunt is possibly the best part of the whole process!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.