Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...

I need some input:

I just bought a Colt Python for get this, $180 bucks!

I had a gunsmith check it out (I thought there MUST be something wrong with it).
Checks out fine.

Interesting questions though...looks like the gun has been parkerized before. Were any older Colts finished in a matte finish?

Also, I notice there is no "Stallion" logo on the side plate.
(Ser.# XX69 E)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Drew

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
There were some parkerized Colts, but none had the vent ribbed, full lug profile of the Python. Since it was parkerized then most likely the rearing pony emblem was polished off. The finish must have been in really bad shape for someone to do that to a Python. You should at least end up with a good shooter if it's mechanically sound and in time.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I agree Majic, that's the only way I can think of that that pony could disappear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah...this one's vent ribbed.

I took it out to the range yesterday. Shoots like a dream.

Another question: Is the python ok with .38 +P ammo?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Noted...I suspected as much. But having not owned a Python before, just thought I'd confirm with obviously knowledgeable owners/collectors.

By the way...I've been reading a lot of stories about Python kick. I shot mine, it didn't seem so bad (Winchester 145g silvertip).

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree--that big heavy old barrel lug helps to reduce felt recoil. I mostly shoot mild 38 wadcutters in mine though.

Have fun with it.

Bill

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
awilson2000s post on a "matte Python",got me thinking of a Colt made in 1985-87,that it is rarely seen today; The Peacekeeper. Made with 4 & 6 inch bbls,it was basically a Mk.5,but with a cheap,rugged parkerized finish,aimed for the police market etc. Sold for about $60 less than a blued Mk.5. About 15 years ago,when I added another job(in addition to extra duties & compensation in my regular profession) drivng a shuttle bus part time,to help put a "Dr." in front of my daughters name,our terminal was adjacent to the local village Police Dept. They had just switched from S&W M-65s to Glocks,and one of the young officers was really upset that he could not carry the 4" Colt Peacekeeper that is grandad had bought him for a graduation gift from the Law Enforcement Academy. As I recall,when I invited him to use my outdoor range,it was a swell shooting weapon,in accuracy,action, and comfort.I can recall his,and maybe 2 more, NIB that were dratically reduced in price a few years later at gun shows. Bud

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sure, you can dry-fire Colts all you want/need to. I'm told dry-fire is hard on firing pins in rim-fires but not center-fires. I dry fire all my guns much more than live-fire. I do like to put empty cartridges in the cylinder, though, to support the firing pin. The only bad thing I know of is this practice knocks little bits of dirt and junk into the gun that you just cleaned and that's aggravating!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts