Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dfariswheel:

I'm looking to buy an early 1960's vintage(2.5")Python. However, although this Python looks to be mint, there is a flaw, that I had noticed in the chamfering of just inside the barrel tip? It looks like, whenever this Python was made, that the person who was doing the barrel chamfering, started feeding his chamfering bit a little too fast, which had resulted in the chamfering bit coming to a sudden halt and the result was that there are three(Small) equally spaced nicks(Or, burrs)where the bit had stopped-and, these nicks were not removed, by the machine operator?

Now, I'm wondering if this is reason enough not to buy this nice older Colt Python? Will this have a negative effect on the accuracy of this Python(Or, maybe not?)? Will this ruin the "Collectibility" of this Python? This Python has no wear and tear showing at all! I'm assuming that this chamfering had been done by Colt? Anyway, there is the original test target in the box with this Python(If it would mean anything, in proving whether of not the three small nicks were detrimental to the accuracy of this Python?)?

I don't want to give up this beautiful older Python, if this gun could still be a good one(Despite these 3 small chamfering bit nicks inside the muzzle?)? On the other hand, if these nicks will have ruined this Python-then, I'd not want to buy this revolver? What would you advise?

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 05-02-2005).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
Depends on:
How BAD the damage is.
Whether the accuracy is affected.
Whether the damage could be repaired.
How bad you want this particular gun, and whether you think you can eventually find another one, only without the defect.

Damage like this will lessen the value of the gun to most buyers.
You might be able to use the defect to lower the price to you.

If the defect is in the actual crowning of the muzzle and doesn't go further into the bore, this is a problem easily repaired by simply re-crowning the barrel.

If so, this would restore the gun, and there would be no way to tell it had been done.
It's not at all uncommon to find pistols with damaged muzzles, and usually it can be corrected in a few moments to like-new condition.

If it can't be corrected, you feel the operation and accuracy have not been compromised, and the defect won't "bug" you in years to come, the final answer is up to you.

So, my first move would be to have a qualified gunsmith look at the muzzle to see if the defect can be corrected.

Again, unless the damage intrudes into the bore, it's likely it could be fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dfariswheel:

1)This Python is at a Gun Shop and, with CA laws like they are, I couldn't obtain this Python unless I buy it!

2)Assuming that this muzzle damage doesn't protrude into the bore, and could be fixed, should this recrowning only be done by Colt-or? I guess, what I'm getting at, is who can you really trust to do this sort of work on a Python(And, to do it right?)?

3)I will go back to the Gun Shop that has this Python, to view inside the bore with a bore light to see more closely what the damage looks like?

4)Since you had said that this muzzle damage(If not into the bore?)could be restored to like new again(And be virtually undetectable!)then, in this case, I'd want to proceed with buying this 1964 vintage(2.5")Python(Because it is nice and because I'll not likely ever see another early Python here in CA, like it, ever again(Nor, at a reasonable price!))!

5)NOTE: There is one last thing that I need to get clarified, regarding a statement that I had recently, read somewhere, which stated that Colt never did put a crown on the barrel of their famous Python? I was always under the assumption that all barrels needed to be crowned?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
Colt Pythons don't have "much" of a crown.
On some Pythons the rifling just sort of ends, and there isn't much of a bevel.

On some other Pythons, there is a definite bevel, or crown.

My two stainless Pythons follow this.
The 4" has virtually no bevel at all, the 6" has a small but well defined bevel.

Having thought about it since my last post, I'm wondering if someone didn't already do a conventional crown job on this Python.....and botched it.
Sounds like someone was re-doing the crown for whatever reason, and left a set of hesitation burrs.

In any case, as long as the burrs or defects are limited to just the bevel, this can be corrected easily.

It wouldn't require a trip to Colt, AS LONG as you can find a "real" qualified pistolsmith who can do it right.

In fact, this isn't a big job, and any competent 'smith could do the job in 5 minutes...max.

Depending on exactly what's there, it may have NO effect on accuracy.
In this case, you could take your time shopping around for a good gunsmith.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dfariswheel:

1)On this Python, based upon what you have said, it does have a definate bevel-and, if my memory serves me right, the burrs are in the wide bevel itself?

2)What about the need to do any rebluing after the recrowning is done? Can a competent Gunsmith effectively just reblue(Doing a nice job?)just inside the muzzle where the recrowning has been done(Or, will the complete gun need to be reblued(I certainly hope not!)as I would like to keep the finish on this older Python, looking original(If possible?)?

3)I'm going to take your advice whenever I go back to inspect the muzzle on this Python again, to see if the burrs are in fact, just in the bevel itself? I'm hoping that this will come true and will be the extent of the damage? At least your positive comments, have given me something to hope for? And, that this won't turn out to be anything serious?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
It wouldn't be blued at all.

The inside of the bore, and the crown aren't blued, and in fact, bluing won't stay put on the bevel anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts