Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone date and estimate the value of a Target Python?

Royal Blue
8" Barrel Marked "Python Target .38 Spl"
98-99%
Serial LA97**

·
Registered
991 Posts
I think your looking at year 1981, but not positive. I have one of each, blue and nickel, both "K" series which date to 1980. The "LA" series came after the "K".

I hate to comment on prices with the way the market is, but I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for 98%. NIB around $1300. Once again, people are asking unreasonable prices. This is one to watch and wait for because they pop up every so often. Not the most rare Colt. I have no idea how many were actually made.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
LA97** was made in 1980.
The "LA" series was made ONLY in 1980, and the series ran from LA0101 to LA9999.

1980 was a busy year for Pythons.
That year saw the end of the "V" series, the entire "AL" series, the entire "LA" series, the entire "VA" series, and the start of the "K" series.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Guess I might have been wrong all along about the "K" series coming before the "AL" and "LA". Were these maybe produced at the same time on different production lines? Whereas, a "K" series and an "LA" series could have completed production on the same day (theoretically)?

Where is the s/n data from 1978 to 1985 documented? I thought someone once said it was in one of the books.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thanks A1A! That post must have slid by me because I certainly would have remembered it. Mine are K073xx and K034xx, so they still fall into 1980. Don't know why that makes me feel better.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to both of you for the info. Dfariswheel what value would you say it has?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.

Here it is. Seems to be alot of distance in prices on these. What is the average at present time?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts