Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the following regarding the python:

1) What year (or serial number) did colt change from a two-pin black front sight on the python to a two-pin red ramp front sight?

2) What year (or serial number) did colt change from the two-pin red ramp front sight on the python to a one-pin red ramp front sight?

3) What year did colt change from a two-piece box for the python to the one-piece simulated wood grain box ?

4) What year did colt change from the simulated wood grain to blue plastic box for the python?

Thank you very much,

Thomas

·
Registered
991 Posts
I was also trying to find out when Colt started putting serial number and model number labels on the one piece flap wood grain boxes, but I have never been able to get an answer. This is pretty important because prior to this addition, you can substitute any proper original box with no degradation to collector value.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I did a small survey on gunsamerica and broker and found a 1976 in a one piece box with styrofoam insert. I also found a gun from 1974 that included the styrofoam insert, but no box. The 1974's styrofoam could be from a different year, but I'd say that the transition from 2 to 1 piece boxes took place in 73-74 depending on when they actually ran out of older boxes.

I looked at some other colt models around the same time frame and from what i saw, it looks like they phased the old boxes for all models around the same time.

I am by no means an expert, just trying to help a little.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Bowhunter: According to one of Don Wilkerson's books, he said that the change to the one piece box with syrofoam insert occurred in late 1974. Based on what I have seen, this appears about right. So, you are right on the money on your time frames. Oh by the way, excellent photo of the Python. I need to practice up on my digital photography as I still owe a photo to Addicted of one of my Colts.

I like your idea of a Colt data base that is searchable on the internet. The problem other than logistics and getting someone to oversee it, is accuracy. Who judges when something is accurate or as accurate that we know? In a sense, the forum is a searchable data base. It is one of the reasons that I sometimes try to summarize a series of my posts to be as accurate as I know them to be. Sometimes I make gross generalizations that are not completely accurate. I try to fix these without eliminating the old stuff so people can judge for themselves.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I understand what ur saying about the database. I was just thinking in a perfect world if guys posted the pertinent info on the Pythons they own, you could get a sense for when these changes took place.

That python was my father's he bought brand new in 1972 with his first paycheck of his new job. He made my day when we were talking about a friend's python that had a box, when he told me that he still had the factory box for his. I ran up the stairs into the attic and sure as heck, there it was, almost pristine in an old suitcase. It pays to take care of things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts