Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I purchased a 1962 Python with 4" barrel from a pawn shop where I lived for the sum of $450. It was a nice gun but someone had used it pretty hard. The blueing was well worn and there was some pitting on the cylinder and barrel.

Sent it back to Colt for refurbishing in June. Took about a month but the finished product was impressive. It looks just like a new gun and is very smooth. Finally got a chance to try it today.

I don't know what Colt did to this gun but boy is it a shooter now. The sites need some adjustment as it hit 4" high at 25 yards but that gun is capable of better then what I can shoot. It quite easily out shot a S&W model 28 that I took along with it.

You can count me well satisfied with the work done by Colt.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Good deal & glad you are happy joed!

Can you tell us more about the work that Colt did for you? Maybe even post a picture or two? We're talking details man!

How good a job did they do on the pits you spoke about? What other work did they perform for you? Tell us about the polish job they performed and the condition of the roll marks. Color and/or deepness of the blue job? Did you get the chance to adjust the sight down for bullet height or is that another trip?

Sounds like you are very happy, and I'd like to know what all they did to make you feel this way.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope this image works although the camera doesn't do the gun justice.

About a year ago while living in FL I started frequenting gunshops and pawnshops on my lunch hour. One day I managed to find a 1962 4" Python for $450 in one of the pawnshops, it went home with me.

It was a good shooting gun but had a lot of wear, the action was very hard and the end of the barrel and a portion of the cylinder was pitting where someone had let moisture get to it.

I thought long and hard about having a local gunsmith reblue and retime the gun. But as I checked out all their work I noticed there were good and bad jobs that most did. This June it was shipped back to Colt.

Within 1 week of shipping Colt sent me a letter stating the gun could be refurbished for $220. They explained this meant reblueing and setting everything to spec. They told me the pitting could easily be fixed. The only downside was they told me the lettering may not look to great after refinishing.

A month after the gun was sent in they returned it. They were wrong about the lettering, it looks as sharp as the day the gun rolled off the line at the factory. The blueing is absolutely beautiful and the action is smooth as silk. You can't see any signs of the pitting that was present before I sent it in.

I can't say enough about the quality of work performed by Colt. The big surprise was how well it shoots now. It shot groups that were 1/2 the size of what my S&W model 28 shot yesterday.

Anyone contemplating having a gun refurbished would do very well to send it back to the factory.

[This message has been edited by joed (edited 10-20-2004).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts