Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Longtime Lurker, first time poster....

Help! I am new to the python, my uncle just gave me a deal, supossedly....

I have a '74 python 4" Blue. I checked timing and lockup and it all seems great. Then while handling the thing i noticed a rattle in the action. It sounds like a pin sliding horizontally in too big a sleeve. I have removed the grips to see if it was spring, it wasn't; Then I read that some S&W the ejector spring would rattle, so i opened the cylinder and depressed the ejector, thus loading the spring, and it wasn't. After I had done that I realized it was coming from the action of the gun. I tried it cocked, still there, I pulled the trigger and kept it pulled letting the hammer rest on the firing pin thinking that it could have been a loose transfer bar (don;t know if pythons have that kind of setup) but it wasn;t. I have tried about everything, and don;t know what to do. The sound seems to be coming from right under the pony.

I have a prewar OP .38 that has been through the ringer and it doesn;t rattle at all!

Also if anyone would like to throw me what a reasonable retail price for a 90-95% '74 python 4" blued with pachmayr presentation grips (rubber w/ gold, and I don't think they are original...) with NO papers, box, etc....

Thanks for any help.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,967 Posts
Almost certainly the hammer block, part 125.
These are a loose fit any may rattle in some guns.

If it bugs you, put a small drop of lubricant down the right side of the block and this will usually stop the rattle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was looking at a shooter that is practically same as yours with identical rattle. The rattle concerned me to the point of not wanting to shane it but couple drops of oil as prescribed above "cured" the rattle. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.