Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me when Colt started using the PYxxxx serial number range for the Python? Need help determining year of manufacture. Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
Sorry, the publicly available Colt numbers only go up into 1985, and the last Python number shown is T34453.

To get a production date, you can call the Colt factory during business hours, and they will give you a date over the phone, but NO other data.

·
Registered
810 Posts
KMan, If I remember correctly, the "PY" prefix was for the guns made in the "Bi Centennial" Colt set that had the Python, Peacemaker, and the Dragoon in a box set , and with the 'Armsmear' Book, made in 1976.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I talked to Colt today and they told me year of birth was 1992. This was probably not part of a set, I saw the label on the box and it was PY0xxx, 8 inch barrel, B STS finish.

Does anyone have an opinion about the manufacturing quality of these later guns vs. early model guns? What was the last year for the non-Elite Python?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well, now that you said it was a 'stainless ' gun and in 8 inch that makes more sense. Figured they would "jump" out of any kind of 'sensible' order.:D

That took some 'REAL' thinking on the 'bosses' part......

·
Registered
689 Posts
Dant,

You were so close "the "PY" prefix was for the guns made in the "Bi Centennial" Colt"... In reality the PY came at the end of the numerals of the bicentennials ex: 12345PY...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello,
I called them yesterday about my python 6" stainless PNxxxx and it from the year 1994.
This is my first revolver and in avery good condition, cost me about 500$.

·
Registered
29 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hello,
I called them yesterday about my python 6" stainless PNxxxx and it from the year 1994.
This is my first revolver and in avery good condition, cost me about 500$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't help but notice your location is Israel.

What are the gun laws there??

If you gave 500 dollars us for a python, it sounds like you got quite a deal!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi,

Israel is a very very restricted about guns, only security personals or people that living in a dangerous areas can have permit.

I am an active ipcs sport shooter so i can have guns.

Another restriction is that we can NOT reload ammo.

Revolvers are not so popular beacause a person usualy can have only one gun, so they choose a glock or so...that why the price is low.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts