Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you Colt Python and/or Revolver Gurus know when Colt stopped routing out the interior side of their service grips for
Python or I Frame revolvers??? Mid 1980 Grips I have have a flat interior, no recess. Please advise. Thanks

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have asked that question previously with no definitive answer provided. The only service grip panels I have seen were those with flat backs, but I have seen service grips advertised for sale having the relieved backs, and am suspicious about their authenticity.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
I have no firm idea of the time line but Colt did once route out the back side of both Service and Target grips to give a fitting ledge to allow a tight fit to the frame with no gaps.
As a cost savings this was stopped at some point.

Here's a set of verified Colt factory Third Type Target grips with the fitting ledge:

Wood

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
I have asked that question previously with no definitive answer provided. The only service grip panels I have seen were those with flat backs, but I have seen service grips advertised for sale having the relieved backs, and am suspicious about their authenticity.
I to have been suspicious of their authenticity. And have stayed away from them. Seems nobody really knows for sure.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
skilled, creating the "fitting ledge" is a more complex operation than not having such a feature. Therefore, why would a counterfeiter go to the trouble to create the "ledge" that is NOT original when it would be easier to leave off the "ledge" and thereby look more original?

The "fitting ledge" is an original feature, dependent on the vintage of the stocks. My earliest Python and Officers Model Match both have the "ledge."

Based on my personal collection, I believe the "fitting ledge" was discontinued in 1955 or 1956. However, that said, it may be a vendor-specific feature where one vendor used it, and another did not. (I am assuming that Colt did not make stocks in-house Post-War. That may or may not be a valid assumption.)

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
Again, I've seen the fitting ledge on both Service and Target grips, and much later then 1956.

I have a pair of genuine Colt late Third Type Python Target grips with the ledge.
I have seen the ledge cuts on genuine 2 1/2" Pythons with Service grips, and on .357 original Troopers as made after 1961.

Colt used to be famous for their "furniture shop" that made grips and the famous Colt factory display cases used at World's Fairs.
At some point, I'm sure that Colt started contracting out their grips, but I have no idea when.
It was definitely sometime after WWII because up until the war Colt was still doing final polishing for bluing with the grips on the guns to insure a perfect fit.

NOTE: I mis-typed that the Python grips I have with the ledges are Third Type. They are in fact SECOND Type Python Target grips.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
skilled, creating the "fitting ledge" is a more complex operation than not having such a feature. Therefore, why would a counterfeiter go to the trouble to create the "ledge" that is NOT original when it would be easier to leave off the "ledge" and thereby look more original?

The "fitting ledge" is an original feature, dependent on the vintage of the stocks. My earliest Python and Officers Model Match both have the "ledge."

Based on my personal collection, I believe the "fitting ledge" was discontinued in 1955 or 1956. However, that said, it may be a vendor-specific feature where one vendor used it, and another did not. (I am assuming that Colt did not make stocks in-house Post-War. That may or may not be a valid assumption.)

I think we maybe talking about two different things. I was refering to "cut out back" stocks.. That I thought the OP was talking about. Seems like they pop up all the time in NEW like condidtion. I have several pairs of service stocks post war.. going to check all mine when I get home from work.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
"I think we maybe talking about two different things. I was refering to "cut out back" stocks.. That I thought the OP was talking about. Seems like they pop up all the time in NEW like condidtion. I have several pairs of service stocks post war.. going to check all mine when I get home from work."

Exactly. I am referring to the numerous examples of routed back service grips that show up for sale on eBay described as NOS, etc. I have never seen a pair of Colt service grips with routed (or relieved) backs that I know to be authentic. All have been flat on the back side. Maybe genuine Colt routed-back service grip panels exist that I have not seen. Or maybe they are "replicas" from Thailand or points east. I do not know. I have a difficult time understanding why the routing would even be needed on service grips.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
It may be some kind of intellectual incest, but I said, "The "fitting ledge" is an original feature, dependent on the vintage of the stocks. My earliest Python and Officers Model Match both have the "ledge." "

I have ORIGINAL stocks with the "fitting ledge" (called "routed back" by some). If there are counterfeit stocks with that feature, then so be it. What I said is that the "fitting ledge" or "routed back" IS an original feature on Colts stocks of a certain vintage.

·
Registered
982 Posts
On eBay now are two sets of full checkers. No doubt about the originality of either. One has the edge the other does not. Go figure. Seems to be no definitive answer. Also as Dr. D said, third generation stocks with the edge.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
Note my post on Third Type Python grips with the ledge.

I mis-typed that. The grips are SECOND Type. I don't recall ever seeing Third Type Colt factory Target grips with the ledge.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Note my post on Third Type Python grips with the ledge.

I mis-typed that. The grips are SECOND Type. I don't recall ever seeing Third Type Colt factory Target grips with the ledge.
I have several pair of the earlier 3rd Type Python target stocks, those with the top corners of the checkering panels slightly rounded, as opposed to square, that do have the ledge.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I don't think anything's been resolved. The topic is Service stocks, not target stocks. So is there agreement or not that ORIGINAL Service stocks had roiuted backs? And if so, when? As I earlier mentioned, I can't see a reason why original service stocks would have anything other than a flat back.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts