Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
First post here. About four years ago I bought a 1975 Colt Python with four inch barrel. I wanted a Six inch. I bought a new six inch barrel (with correct threads) and had a smith replace the four inch. The four inch has a little holster wear at the muzzle. I know that all original equipment is the preferred condition and I should have left it that way, but that's water under the bridge.
Now I was wondering if it would make any sense to put the four inch barrel back on simply to preserve it's original condition, or is it too late, the damage is done and it will never be "original" since the barrel was removed?
What's the consensus?
Thanks
Marv

I wanted to delete the second pic, but I guess the preview post wouldn't let me.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think this is up to you. If it were me, I would leave it a 6" if that is what you want. You can have the barrel re-replaced with the original and it probably wouldn't hurt the value that much. I have never been one to put guns in the safe for some future collector to make a ton of money off of in 5-7 decades in the future, but that is just me. I shoot and enjoy all my guns and don't see the purpose of making someone I don't even know the chance of making a lot of money off of something I worked hard for.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Welcome to the forum.There should not be a problem returning the gun to it's original barrel length.If the gunsmith did the change right the frame would not be modified.It's a matter of having him unscrew the 6" barrel and screw in the 4" and no one but you and he would know.Having said that I would leave it as is until I decided to trade or sell it then make the change back.D*

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I'm confused. Unless you are going to sell the gun, what is your reason for changing back? You wanted a 6" shooter, you have one. Now, that said, if you are going to sell the gun and want it back to factory then go ahead and swap out the 6" for the 4". The gun will be as it left the factory should someone decide to letter it. Kinda like me switching out a recoil spring and guide for a different weight spring then putting the original spring back in the pistol before selling. Nobody would be able to tell and the pistol is back to factory spec.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum, thanks for your first post. I agree with the above responders. You wanted a 6" gun and it looks as if the smith did a great job.

If you wanted to sell it in its original configuration I'd take it back to the same smith, however, unless it has a box stipulating to the 4" barrel it may be a moot point anyway. You could always sell the gun with both barrels or just enjoy the gun as is now. :cool:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Keep it the way you like it at 6". You can always re- place it later if you want to sell it as original. I personally don't think it is goings effect te value one way or the other considering the gun is used and not in collector state. It's a shooter so shot it and enjoy it. I personally like the six inch.

·
Registered
325 Posts
While the choice is up to you I find the 4" barrels far more utilitarian than the 6". I have both a 6" and a 4" Python and carry the 4" Python far more than the 6". On the average range I find the 6" barrel slightly more accurate at longer ranges but for most ranges there is little difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great responses. My reason for the query is because I have noticed the rapid rise in value of the Python and wondered if I ruined the value by changing the barrel. I knew at the time that it was not a real collector gun, but did not know how bad the change would affect the actual value. It sounds like I can continue to shoot it (I don't really shoot it much at all) and still be confident that it's value will still increase. Thanks again.
Marv

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
If you sell the gun then sell it with both barrels and the buyer may enjoy the choice.
There you go right there. You now have the gun you wanted. If you sell it in the future you can up the price, which will increase anyway, by including the original barrel with it. And you can add the price of the 6" barrel and installation, too. I think you might be worrying about a problem that doesn't exist, and will come out ahead in the end if you ever sell it. Personally, I like it with the 6" barrel. If someone has only one Python, like I do, that's the classic form. But mine is an Electroless nickel 4 incher. I like blue better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts