Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw this python at the gun show today. The dealer was talking the talk about how great of a python it was... and how all snub pythons on gunbroker are going for $4K plus... I asked him if it was lettered- and he looked at me like i was silly wondering what I was talking about. I said lettered, you know, like a letter from colt verifying all the work you say was done at the custom shop was done there, etc. He said its to new for it to need a letter and that those letters were mostly for really old colts. "~Besides, its only a $100 letter on a $3300 gun". I said, "yeah, cheap insurance that your purchase isnt bogus". he was not amused. haha.
anyway- allegedly all work was done by the colt custom shop. no box, no papers, nothing else. I think this is a long shot, but he sure was proud of it.
Am I way off base and this an amazing one of a kind... or is the dealer trying to find a python hungry collector who is not super familiar with the game?
I personally dislike the gold accents, it looks like one of those junked up Taurus 1911s.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
If it's too good to be true most of the time it is. Rule one. Rule two refer to rule one.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Avoid that seller #1) For his bullstinkin answers #2) For the other "rare" placards I see peeking out in that picture. Quacks like a duck, walks like a duck....waddle away ;) and no the CS wouldn' t deface that Python and she won't letter.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The amount of BS that the seller showers you with and the "customization" diminishes the value of this python to less than that of an original python with the same percentage grading.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Just an FYI: If you tried to letter the gun odds are even IF the Colt Custom shop did the work it would not show up on the letter.
It all would depend on WHEN the work was done.
Some guys purchased new Pythons and other Colt's from their local dealer and then sent them back to have the custom shop work them over.
If that's the case the gun won't show the gold appointments in the letter.
Just food for thought.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
You are correct but on the other hand colt does do custom run guns by order and have seen many out there. Gold cylinders on SAA and various other guns. Don't forget the lew Horton guns are special order by that company. It's not a standard run gun from colt they were done on order. This can also be done by you as well if you want to order it.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
As we all know that is way more popular now with TALO and Lew Horton.
You tend to see SAA's and Frontiers like that, but not too many Pythons that nobody has seen.
I was just giving a for instance.
On something where the appointments were done all in Gold, if there was a batch of them done, most likely they would have turned up in the population by now.
My guess is it was an after thought.
Most people think that a Colt Historical letter is the end all be all to factory documentation.
It is not and even Beverly will tell you that.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.