Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Looking for a pair of speedloaders for a Python. I know the most available speedloaders are from HKS, however, I’m looking for early types 1970s or 80s. I’ve seen many of the earlier ones where made for Smiths. Wondering what was made for Colts.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
I got my first 2 HKS speed loaders for the Python back in the early 1980s. They were marked PY-A. A few years ago I found a 3 speed loader pouch with 3 Python HKS speed loaders. The were marked simply PY. I have been able to gather that hey were made before he PY-A model came out. Check consignment shops as this is where I found my last 3.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
What I came to like about the Safariland speed loaders that they held the rounds tightly (HKS now does, too) and automatically released the rounds with a simple push into the chambers. No knob to turn once rounds were chambered. I am left handed, but shoot right handed. I developed a revolver reload in which the gun did not change position in my right hand. From the two-hand hold, I swung the cylinder out and ejected with my left hand as I held the gun, now muzzle elevated, in my right. With the left hand, I retrieved the speedloader from my belt and chambered the rounds as I lowered the muzzle, snapping the cylinder shut with my left hand.

This was in contrast to the standard training of the day which involved swinging the cylinder out, extending 2 or 3 fingers of the weak hand through the cylinder window, turning muzzle vertical and ejecting the empties with the thumb of the left hand, while the right hand brought the speed loader into play. That seemed to me to leave the shooter rather vulnerable, and prone to mishandle or lose control of the gun in a tense situation.

The best I ever did was get off 12 rounds faster than my Sergeant, who was firing a Beretta 92 without a reload! Being left-handed finally had its advantages.

Reactions: ei8ht
1 - 5 of 5 Posts