Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other Python owners feel superior to the rest of the world just for owning this model of Colt? I laugh to myself knowing that I'm actually better than others for possessing this work of art. I don't know how I'll be able to tolerate my non-Python owning buddies anymore. What cretins.

Seriously, though. I have a lot of guns and a lot of those are Colts, but this one is in a different league. It's the Rolex of revolvers. The funny thing is I never really wanted one before, but now that I have one it almost makes me want to sell the others and buy another Python. If only it wasn't a 3 for 1 ratio...

Python 000.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, the Python is the Mac Daddy! I bought a 1975 Nickel Python, was given a Nickel Cobra and just bought a 1972 Colt New Frontier 22. Looking for a deal on a diamondback now! The others just complement the Python!

·
Registered
12 Posts
By the way, I am trying to find an original box for the New Frontier and the Cobra. I am not sure yet on year make of Cobra, it was just given to me and I left it in safe while I am away. I will check on it when I get home. The New Frontier is a 1972 22 cal. I have original box for Python which really makes me proud to pull it out of safe and show it off!

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
It is a false sense of superiority. Owners of Single Action Army revolvers will still look down on you as a crass dolt. Owners of such pieces of art as a Shooting Master or such will hide their feelings of disdain, but will secretly KNOW that they are superior. Owners of an original Walker ARE superior to all - and don't forget it!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The grips are original 1971 grips that were re-cut by Bill Austin in a snake scale pattern. I saw them on ebay and had to have them. Bought them the same day as the Python. I think they're the cat's meow and I'm pretty sure I won't run into anyone else with them - plus - they're HALF original.

I have the SAA covered and I'd love a USFA, but I don't see any Walkers in the foreseeable future...

21 - Colt 1856-1841 SAA .45.jpg

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
And don't forget the New Service Target ! I'm working on my Shooting Master.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
IN MY EXPERIENCE, the PYTHON revolvers were ALWAYS a case of hype and hotair over performance. I have owned "three". During this time I also owned a S&W M36-1 38 that would outshoot all three PYTHONS at 25 yards with ANY 38SPL load, factory or handload, you cared to test. At the time I also owned a S&W M19 4" that would outshoot all those PYTHONS with any 357MAG load you cared to test [ not EVEN close..] and always at velocities 100-150FPS faster than any of those 6" PYTHONS. The second PYTHON was so bad for accuaracy and so slow on velicities I called the boys at CPFAMC to discuss this and found out all my PYTHONS met factory standards which was 2 1/2" [ 2.5"] groups at 50'. REALLY !!!! So, I ended up sending PYTHON number two back to be re-barreled and re-cylindered after they aggreed to do so on their dime [ this is PYTHON number 3 ] and promised me it'd be a doozy of a 357/38 sixgun. AND IT WAS, FINALLY, as long as you were shooting 38SPL wadcutter loads with which it was a tackdriver !!! With any 357MAG load it was still a noisy slingshot that barely met the COLT factory standards at my standard of 25 yards, and a new S&W M19 6" 357MAG I happened to luck into while waiting the return of the gun from COLT, was 150-200FPS faster and would shoot groups well below an inch at 25 yards.
I am fond of noting all " three " of my PYTHONS would have been valuable artifacts if I'd have welded a 4' extesion on their barrel and pounded 'em into the ground to grow tomatos.
NOW LEST YOU THINK I HAVE IT IN FOR COLT ; My COLT NEW FRONTIER 5 1/2" 38SPL IN THE MOST ACCURATE 38SPL I HAVE EVER SHOT AND 38/44 LOADS IN IT WILL SHOOT FROM HERE TO THE PROMISED LAND.
LEST YOU THINK I STILL HAVE ONE ON FOR COLT ; MY COLT NEW FRONTIER 5 1/2" 357MAG WILL EAT ALIVE ALL THOSE " THREE " PYTHONS AND EQUAL THAT S&W 6" M19 IN VELOCITIES AND ACCURACY.
AND FINALLY: I do not understand why anyone would by a DA sixgun when they could buy and be shooting a SA anyways.....
And so it goes.....

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
I know that feeling of superiority; power, influence, the groupie quasi friends, but alas it eventually all fades away, when you realize..

"Oh Look A Chicken !"..Yeah that's right, another must have enters the picture !

But I think I still have beaten y'all. I still have my sense of humor in tact...:D...or what's left of it....Excuse me while I go to my LGS..:cool:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Any other Python owners feel superior to the rest of the world just for owning this model of Colt? I laugh to myself knowing that I'm actually better than others for possessing this work of art. I don't know how I'll be able to tolerate my non-Python owning buddies anymore. What cretins.
I assume you write that tongue-in-cheek to us cretin, non-Python owners.

Owning something, no matter what the object may be, does not in any way reflect on the quality or character of the owner.

Besides, do you actually think the Python shoots better than, say, an Officers Model Match? I doubt it.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Never felt the need for a complex even though some made a run at me. I don't have the biggest, fastest nor most expensive of anything. I do have some unique things and they fill my niche. Yeah, I have a Python, actually 2 :eek: and gee they shoot well and all but the 1940 OMT outperformed my Pythons a few weeks ago tho, truth be told, I may have been having a better day than normal at the range :p

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of course I was not serious in my assertion of purported superiority, I am merely elated in my most recent acquisition. As Kid Sopris states, it's just the lastest must have! As for my cretinous gun buddies, my favorite one doesn't even own a Colt, and he has quite a collection. He's more of a Ruger - Taurus guy. I really need to reevalute that friendship...

·
Registered
670 Posts
I assume you write that tongue-in-cheek to us cretin, non-Python owners.

Owning something, no matter what the object may be, does not in any way reflect on the quality or character of the owner.

Besides, do you actually think the Python shoots better than, say, an Officers Model Match? I doubt it.
While it might not reflect the quality or character of owner, it does reflect their excellent taste...which after all IS something. The value of most objects is set by the general population of buyers and sellers, the rest for the most part is subjective...including shooting accuracy, unless you're using a machine rest and test ammo. Tell me, who does that? So the debate goes on.
I say whatever floats your boat and makes a star out of you is just fine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Its a honor to be a part of such an elite group sure mines used and abused but it is still a Python. :D One I can enjoy too. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Well, I must be a cretin.....a cretin with around 25 SAA's. While I don't feel superior to anyone else, I take pride in the fact that I own examples of the greatest, most pefect handgun to have ever filled a man's hand! :cool: LOL! No offense to anyone partial to something...uh...that's not an SAA.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Perhaps us Cretins should petition Mitch to have a Special Section, a place we can post our S.A.A.'s? ;)
(Way to much Starbucks today...Heading to Cinco De Mayo festivities to balance the Caffeine... Oh Jose Cuervo, where are you ?)

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
It is a false sense of superiority. Owners of Single Action Army revolvers will still look down on you as a crass dolt. Owners of such pieces of art as a Shooting Master or such will hide their feelings of disdain, but will secretly KNOW that they are superior. Owners of an original Walker ARE superior to all - and don't forget it!
What he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I neither own nor yearn for a Python. I must be a Cretin in denial.

Why there is a barrel rib and enclosed ejector rod, as all that extra steel adds weight unnecessarily?

Yes, some will say that the barrel rib and ejector rod casing add proper "balance" and style, but I think it just adds extra unnecessary weight on the front of the gun and is not that attractive.

An Officers Model Match has the same lockwork, great finish and trigger, superb accuracy, similar stocks, and less weight and lower cost than a Python. I prefer the look, weight and balance of the barrels with unshrouded ejector rods and no rib on the top of the barrel. Just my Cretinous personal opinion.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.