Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I ran across a Python Target 8" 38 Special. It was new in box with all papers at a cost of $750.00. My questions are as follows...
1) What is the history of such a revolver???
2) I would assume it is rare, but how rare?
3) The S/N is K01457. I can find no mention of that s/n range in my references. From the look of the box if appears to be prior to 1978!!! Thanks in advance for your asistance...

Regards,

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
The Python Target was somewhat a throw-back.
Originally, the Python was going to be a Super-Target pistol in .38 Special.

The company decided that since the .357 was a hot seller, and you could still shoot .38 Specials, the caliber was changed to .357 when the gun was first issued in 1955.

In the late 1970's, Colt introduced the Python Target model. All of this limited-production was in .38 Special, with 8" barrels.

The Python Target was not a good seller, since most Python buyers wanted shorter barrels, and .357 Magnums.

There were a good number of Python Targets made, and they are fairly common.

Street prices will usually run slightly lower than other Pythons due to the caliber and barrel length.

Number K01457 was made in 1980.
The "K" series began in 1980 at number K01000, and went to K16265 by the year's end.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 12-18-2004).]

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Don't assume about the rarity of it. I've seen a lot of them, and they don't seem to sell well. Mint in box any Python does not look bad for $750.
They made that .38 with only the 8 inch barrel. I'm not aware of it in any other barrel length.
I have seen them Mint in the box in the $750-$800 range, and that was with-in the last 90 days or so.
It's a good price, but not a give away.
Is it nickel ? I don't see very many at all in Nickel. I would say 30 Blued target 8 inches to 1 Nickel.
Check out Gunbroker someone had a few of these they were selling MIB for around $750.
Just my 2 pesos.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Darn it Dfaris.
I'm posting while you're answering questions. I must type slower. LOL
You are quick to the draw, that's for sure.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Python Targets were definitely only done in 8" and they certainly don't command .357 Python prices as dfw said because of the less desirable bbl length and caliber. They were a short production run item but they turn up for sale all the time.

My only nickeled gun is this NIB .38 Python Target:

dfariswheel, got a DOB on LA67XX? TIA

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 12-18-2004).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I can give it to you Blokey. LA0101 to LA9999 was 1980.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Blokey, do you want to get rid of your only Nickel Colt!!!!! I will gladley take it of your hands. It would look real nice next to my two blue one's...

[This message has been edited by wd357 (edited 12-21-2004).]

·
Registered
711 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wd357:
Blokey, do you want to get rid of your only Nickel Colt!!!!! I will gladley take it of your hands. It would look real nice next to my two blue one's...
B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Such generous members on this board!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts