Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on this gun.I am especially interested in the nickel version.Was it produced in limited numbers or special orders only?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Here are some pics of my NIB safe queen '80 nickel Python Target .38 (excuse the EEZOX and lint on the gun):

I checked my Colt catalogs of the period and could not find it listed; they turn up occasionally, certainly not at the frequency of .357 Pythons. They were available for a couple of years, probably on a special order basis (my gun's box has a hand written gold foil label). These guns don't command a premium because of the unwieldy bbl length and weak caliber; it was an item with limited appeal.

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 05-25-2005).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm pretty sure they were a 1983 year production and then phased out. Yes, they are heavy. As to the comment on "weak caliber" I suppose that depends on what you intend to do with it. I shoot mine, a lot, with both 148 HBWC and 158 SWC and it is a tack driving beauty. The only revolvers I have that can compete on accuracy (with the right load)are my 6" 357 and a tuned up 6" S&W 14-3. My OMT in 32 is not far behind though.

I agree the "collector" market for them is pretty thin. Still, it's a Python.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yeah, by weak caliber, I meant it's not a hunting or silhouette arm; its obvious primary purpose was as a target revolver.

I double checked my catalogs and this model is implicitly described in the '80, '81 and '82 catalogs; "Python Target" is not specifically mentioned.

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 05-25-2005).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Gents, they're ALL lovely! I looked at a blue one in Pratt, Kansas, last week. He wanted $1,000 - no box, probably never fired. It wouldn't fit in my gun case! If I bought one of those, I'd HAVE to shoot it!!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I bought one of these NIB several years ago, but couldn't overcome the urge to shoot it. I put two cylinders of 148 gr wc's through it before returning it to the safe, and it cloverleafed both groups. A very accurate revolver. They don't show up for sale very often, but lately, the prices seem to be keeping pace with the 357 Pythons.

·
Registered
711 Posts
manderson,

Check out this thread:
http://www.unitedforums.com/forums/gunforums/cf/Forum7/HTML/001299.html

But to answer your question, the s/n prefix is: LA

I checked out the AA link you posted, that's what my box endlabel looks like (actually now I'm not sure if it's "gold foil", I'd have to dig it up in my attic to check).

I'd say it wouldn't matter because it might take a while to find one in the condition you want... in nickel... for sale.

This one on AA looks sweet, I'd go for it if I was in the market for one.

Actually, upon closer inspection, are you sure the label on the box reads "V"? It may be "LA" too. Ask the seller to check the gun to confirm.

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 05-27-2005).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts