Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8" Nickel Python Target has been a safe queen pretty much since I purchased it. I take it out to show it off occasionally, but have not shot it. I just have others that I shoot. When I took it out last I noticed that the cylinder latch was jammed and I could not open the cylinder. I can turn the cylinder, pull the hammer back, and pull the trigger to release the hammer. I just cannot open the cylinder. I have opened the cylinder before as I have photos of the serial number for records. I don't really know what happened as I don't pull it out and look at it too often much less abuse it. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Is there an easy fix for it, do I need a gunsmith or does it need to go to Colt? . I have minimal experience taking revolvers apart, but I am willing to try if its not too complicated. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I wonder if the ejector rod was loose and backed out a little bit and locked the cylinder in place ?
Can you put something on the end of the ejector rod and kind of push it back towards the cylinder to see if you can get it to move a bit ? Just thinking out loud here.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Try pushing on the latch at different angles-push it so it should move parallel to the sideplate and then try pushing some inward towards the sideplate and try outward. away from the sideplate.
I had some that needed to be deburred a little and I had to push on the latch just so to get it to move first. Once I got it open I took the cylinder out and the side plate off and removed the latch and then I honed the edges where they were hiiting so it worked ok afterwards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.