Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a no brainer but I'm considering a possible trade: my ANIB John Wayne Winchester commemorative '81 rifle for a Python, Sn. V76198, 6" barrel, 99 1/2%, "test fired." Price of gun is $1445.00. Seller has another one, Sn. # 83483E, also 99 1/2%, "test fired", mint bore, $1595.00. Love the Winchester, being a John Wayne fan & all but it ain't ever really going up in value like the Python would. Bought it several yrs. ago uninformed. Trade woukd be w/ a dealer, I'd like a straight up trade but don't know yet? Your thoughts, pls.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Both guns are close in equal value. Neither gun is a great investment, unless the python has original box. Then the python is the best bet. I assume the John Wayne is the large loop 32-40 ?

John Fugate

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John, thank you sir for replying. The dealer is checking on a box. I asked him to make sure it's the real deal. Yes, the Win. is the lg. 32-40. Maybe I should just wait till I get the $ & keep it but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

·
Premium Member
5,514 Posts
Both guns are close in equal value. Neither gun is a great investment, unless the python has original box. Then the python is the best bet. I assume the John Wayne is the large loop 32-40 ?John Fugate
Given their popularity, I do tend to think that the Python would have a greater likelihood of appreciating in value and/or would be an easier sell down the road should you need to.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
John mentioned that neither gun is a great investment. I don't own any snake guns but I thought the Pythons are the cat's meow for Colt collectors of the snake guns. Is there certain series or year models that make some more sought after? Strictly from the ignorant buyer's standpoint, I'd be more likely to want to take home the Python if it had all the box and extras. The big LGS around here has so many John Wayne rifles that sit for years. I don't think I've seen a Python make it to the display case to even start to wait for a buyer. So I'd lean toward the Python. There again, I cannot scratch the surface of what John F. and Keystone know.. they sell guns for a living I believe.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I'll shed my perspective on it. The John Wayne he states "ANIB" and the Python doesn't have one. A blued 6" Python without a box, while collectible, is not what everyone is after. The example he is referring to doesn't even have the factory grips but a set of Pachs on it. Given the opportunity to take the Python or the Wayne, I would probably take the Wayne based purely on the financial end of it. The Wayne sells at Auction for $1500-$1800 while real world pricing is probably close to $1200-$1300. The Python would be hard to get over $1100 IMHO in todays market. I just think the Boxed Wayne is a easier sell than a Python with no goodies.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Grandad (wife's father), as he was called by everyone, collected guns, knives and everything under the sun. He passed on a Winchester NIB Chief Crazy Horse .38-.55 made in '83 and a Winchester NIB 75th Anniversary Boy Scout .22 made in '85. The first had a run of 1-19,999 the second 15,000 made. Now while they aren't "rare" now nor escalating like the Python they are NIB and will be passed on that way. The BS tripled in value the CH about 40% increase. They won't be sold nor fired. Family heirloomed for life. A Python, not NIB, is just another Python even though it's value will undoubtedly rise if well maintained. If I had a NIB John Wayne I'd keep it for another heirloom and save for a NIB Python IF I was in an investing mode, which I'm not. I shoot my Colts. My point? If the John Wayne is just a rifle, sell it and buy your Python. If you bought it for meaning, keep it and get yourself a shooter Python. My .02 and that's all I can afford :)

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Sometimes the Forum is an "Enabler" and motivates us to do things we may not consider under different circumstances. I have been both a "Victim" and a "Suspect" under this "Enabler" ideology.

Giving up one item to secure something else because you see others grabbing everything under the sun; just remember what ever goes up must come down.

The firearm market, though it never seen the market crash real estate has, it can and has had its dips.

Choose wisely..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you gentlemen, I think I'll hang onto the rifle. Just hope that Pythons aren't out of reach when I get the $. I'llprobably try to buy one here where I can trust people who'll look out for a 1st. time buyer. Everybody be well!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Thank you gentlemen, I think I'll hang onto the rifle. Just hope that Pythons aren't out of reach when I get the $. I'llprobably try to buy one here where I can trust people who'll look out for a 1st. time buyer. Everybody be well!
When you are ready to buy a Python Look me up. I will make sure you are able to afford one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts