Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me why some older pythons have a 'hitch' in the DA trigger pull while the newer ones don't? There seems to be a slight catch in the double action on my older python, whereas a new one I saw at a gun show is smooth all the way through.

[This message has been edited by ReloaderInMO (edited 02-07-2004).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
Without actually seeing the gun, I can only guess your older Python has a problem.

The older Colt's have an action that "stacks" or gets hard to pull as the trigger moves back. This is just the nature of the design.

Often, a Colt with a problem will display the "hitch" or "hard spot" in the pull.

This could be caused by a number of things form an out of time bolt, to a chipped trigger or hammer, or even a dirty action.

An old-type Colt revolver's trigger action should stack, but shouldn't have a "catch".

If I can find my instructions on how to check Colt timing, I'll post it on this forum as "Colt revolver timing".

Take a look at it, and check your Python, particularly the section about the bolt not retracting properly.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 02-07-2004).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I guess stacking is the term I should have used. The pull gets progressively heavier as it travels until let-off. Is there any way to take this stacking out without sending it to a gunsmith?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sorry Reloader, the stacking is the design of the old Colt action. YOu can't make the old Colt action shoot like a Smith no more than you can make a Smtih action shoot like the old Colt.
You have to decide which trigger action you prefer and stick to that brand. The one alternative is to get one of the newer Colt actions (MkV or King Cobra). They have a redesigned action that has a trigger somewhat like a Smith.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
You can convert Colt trigger actions to be more like S&W revolvers with no stacking, but this is a major job for a Master pistolsmith.

This involves major reshaping of the trigger and extensive alterations.

This requires plenty of money from you, even if you can find one of these few men who's still accepting work.

Most of these guys are retired or dead.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Then I stand corrrected as I have neither seen or heard of this done.
Thanks Dfarriswheel and was this something that was often done in the days gone past? Or just very special jobs that few had performed on their revolvers? I knew alot of barrels were refitted to make Smiths and Rugers have the Python acuracy, but not of the unique action jobs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 'smith in Florida is Walt Sherman of Sherman Custom Guns in Tallahassee, FL if you are interested. Actually, the single action is retained with the roller action as I had a Python done by him. The work was not cheap, though and a bit more than Jungkind charged. The difference, though, was the single action was a bit lighter than Jungkinds due to what was done.

Interestingly, there is a third way of removing the stacking that Austin Behlert used (he is now retired). This can be found at the following thread:
http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?t=14487&highlight=python+master+tune

At any rate the Python masters are few and far between. George Wessinger in one of the Carolinas is another who works on Pythons.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
SOMEBODY made a DA-only roller-bearing conversion.

The entire lower part of the hammer's single action area was ground away to accommodate a long roller lever.
This gave a much longer DA hammer drop, and increased reliability with a VERY light spring.

If not Sherman, WHO????????

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Python master gunsmiths of the 60's and 70's were Reeves Jungkind, Jerry Moran, Fred Sadowski, and Ted Tedford (of Colt).

Dunno if any of them are still currently doing gunsmithing. The Moran guns regularly kept the DA/SA mechanism intact and he seemed to prefer using guns rather than competition pieces. Sadowski and Jungkind seemed to prefer DA only work though they'd build them with the SA capability intact. Tedford was restricted by Colt's policy and only used Colt parts.

Walt Sherman as previously indicated does a roller ball action that is probably better suited to a match gun than a duty gun. Seems to me that there was someone earlier who did a roller ball action, but I'm in a CRS mode (that's Can't Remember Caca, for younger folk).

My Pythons are older guns and none of them needed slicking up for my use. I sold or traded the few later iterations that did. The Colts action is indeed different from the S&W but when it's smooth as it should be, has it's own charm. Not better or worse than S&W, just different. I like my Colts personally, and wouldn't own them if I didn't. Couldn't imagine making them feel like S&W's....if I wanted a gun that felt like a S&W, I'd just pick up one of my Smiths--not muck up the Colts.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
This was/is something special, a few people have done.

Unfortunately, most of the really GREAT Python tuners are gone now.

Some of these Masters, like Reeves Jungkind, offered just tuning, and a few others offered the action conversion to a non-stacking pull.

There were/are two types of non-stack conversions.
One alters the trigger shelf from a flat to a curved surface. This requires heating, bending, and re-hardening the parts.

The other uses a roller-bearing in place of the double action strut. This version is a DA-only action, the single action capability is removed.

I THINK this conversion is still available from a 'smith in Florida.

Strangely, many of the PPC shooters fit their S&W revolvers with a rubber trigger stop, which gives a stack-like action feel very similar to the Colt action.

So we have Colt shooters trying for a S&W feel, and S&W shooters trying for a Colt feel.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I'm going out to try to get my Honda to "feel" like a Cadillac.

·
Registered
11 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
SOMEBODY made a DA-only roller-bearing conversion.

If not Sherman, WHO????????
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know but someone I think on this forum a long time ago said there were two other gunsmiths that did this but never said who.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I had a dealer (and unofficial gunsmith...a tinkerer he called himself) out of Buffalo TX hand me a nice Police Positive with that same sharp resistance in the stacking before the hammer drops(normal for the design as my Detective Special has the same thing...I also got my Python back after having the action changed by colt from easy all the way through to having that sharp resistance before the hammer drop.

I took the gun and pulled the trigger and felt that sharp resistance. He noted before I even said anything about it. "It's got that tight stack. I can polish that out no problem" He wasn't necessarily trying to sell it to me, we were both more admimiring it than anything else, but he acted like he had done that before with Colts to smooth them out. As nice a guy as he was, I wouldn't let him touch any of my Colts (lest anyone think I am recommending going down to your local tinkerer to work out that stacking) /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts