Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have tried to drill a hole of 2.5mm on the python's stainless steel trigger for installing an alen screw as atrigger stop.

It seems that it is a very hard steel and I have found a machinist that can only do the drill and that the tapping is impossible for this kind of steel.

The question is how to do a tapping on stainless steel python trigger?

Thanks.

·
Registered
759 Posts
You would probably be better off by drillling the hole, and press fitting or epoxying a stainless rod cut to length.

If you're set on using an allen screw, and the trigger is stainless, you need a stainless tap, or one rated for use on stainless.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
please do not drill holes in a python, if you must, please dont disclose it to the rest of us.why not silicone a pencil eraser to the rear of the trigger guard and trim to length. a lot simpler to undo than a hole /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,693 Posts
Tapping a Python trigger is not that big a deal.
All you have to do is use a good tap and plenty of cutting fluid.

To drill the hole, use a carbide drill, for a tap, use a Premium, high speed steel or coated tap.
Two-flute taps work better in hard steel.

Set up the trigger in a drill press or milling machine vise, and drill the hole with a carbide or coated drill.

Unplug the drill, put the tap in the chuck and turn it by hand to tap the hole.

This prevents crooked tapping and broken taps.

If the machinist you found says he can't tap the trigger.... Find a better machinist.
This isn't rocket science.

Another technique is to drill the trigger guard for the stop (this is lousy gunsmithing technique, especially on a Python) or to simply use a good epoxy to glue a stop pad to the trigger.

This pad can be a metal shim or a rubber pad.

Bluntly, unless there was a major problem with the gun, I've never seen a Python that needed a trigger stop, since the Python was adjusted to a perfect level at the factory.
The Python was originally intended to be a Super-Target revolver, and the trigger was adjusted with that in mind to eliminate take-up and over-travel.

While you can install a trigger stop, I doubt you'll notice any difference at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all,

I have done it my self:

A 2.6mm hard steel dreel with a tapping fluid.
A machine high quality high speed tap that broke.
A high quality cobalt tapping set that all broke in the process.
A low quality Chinese tapping set that amazingly did the job and 2 of them even survived.
An M3 stainless screw.

The trigger now have no over travel and feels almost like an olympic one.

I have to mention that it is not a simple job because of the very hard steel but it was a very good lesson about tapping and very satisfactory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts