Colt Forum banner

Python unfired but with slilght cylinder ring

6K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  KMKCOLT 
#1 ·
When Colt test fires a new Python at the factory, does it sometimes leave a slight mark on the cylinder? I have heard it both ways on this issue.
thanks.

#2 ·
I have an new in the box BSS Python without the slightest hint of a turn line, it was never turned or fired other than in the factorymes and the timing is so perfect I do not have a turn line. The bolt goes up right after the cylinder moves and then drops down into the recess about a 1/2'" in the runway and before it locks up. Compared to my other Pythons it is unusual.

#3 ·
I have several pythons new in the box and only fired by the factory and none have the turn marks. That is caused not by firing the python since the timing is correct it will never occur that way. It is caused by opening and closing the cylinder. When you open the cylinder then you close it the bolt which is at the bottom of the frame above the trigger is protruding out and the cylinder is not lined up correctly so that the bolt falls in the cylinder latch hole upon closing. When just closing the cylinder and the bolt lands on the solid part of the cylinder and you spin it to lock it up it scratches the cylinder in which results in the turn mark. That goes into the metal and eventually will remove the blue off the cylinder causing a white metal to show. The only way to fix this is to re-blue the cylinder.

#6 · (Edited)
Usually factory test firing is not enough to cause a turn line. Usually the factory fires less than 18 rounds. When I got my first Python (new) in 1979 there was no turn line. When I got to a relatives home I sent up a makeshift range for testing and fired 6 rounds through it, no turn line afterwards. The turn line is just one indicator that it has been fired. Some other indicators are lead build up in the barrel (if it hasn't been cleaned very well), flame cutting of the topstrap, carbon build up on the cylinder face. There are others but these will get you started.

#7 ·
Some revolvers may mark the cylinder some may not that all is based on how well polished is the cylinder bolt. If it has sharp edges then it may mark the cylinder if not then it won't. I guess I am one of the lucky ones without the lines.

Reactions: capstan
#9 ·
On the internet. They don't lie on the internet.

#10 ·
All of mine have 3 round with the chamber being every other one. 3 rings out of six on mine.

#13 ·
No problem, that is what we are here for to help one another. I said it before and will say it again there are done great people on this forum who are always ready to help.

#14 ·
Standard test targets are always 5 shots. At least I have never seen any test targts from Colt with anything but 5.

Now apparently they also test them for the "verified proof" stamp with "heavy" loads How many and how heavy, no one here sees to know.

I would assume Brent knows this answer or can find it out. It certainly would be great to know.

My guess would be that IF they do test the gun with HEAVY loads OTHER than the light wadcutters used for the test target, it wouldn't be more than 6.

Therefore, if just tested for the VP stamp it could be anywhere from 1 to 6 shots. If tested for the VP AND test target shot, could be 6 to 11 shots.

Hopefully forum member Brent ,Colt supervisor, can verify this.

#15 · (Edited)
When Colt test fires a new Python at the factory, does it sometimes leave a slight mark on the cylinder? I have heard it both ways on this issue.
thanks.
I bought one verifiable "NIB Colt revolver that was "NIB". I bought it new directly from Colt. It had no sign of a turn line when I took it out of it's box. I have shot it with cowboys loads and some hotter loads. Maybe 3 boxes of shells. It still has No evidence of a turn line and looks no different than when I took it out of its box.

I have a couple other revolvers that came with their box and papers and they are pristine. They have no turn line and certainly Look NIB. But I did not buy them direct from Colt or from a trusted relative, or a very close friend, therefore I can't verify/know that they are "NIB". I have shot them also quite a few times AND they still LOOK NIB-no turn line.

A polished bolt head and smooth leads/grooves,may prevent a turn line for awhile as mentioned above. Sometimes you may see a line on the leads/grooves but not on the cylinder face,but with the pristine guns I have shot, not even the leads have a mark. Again, I think the bolt and grooves are very well polished.
I have had some where at least the mark on the grooves becomes evident fairly soon after shooting some. If the gun is in time, and you make sure that you close it so the bolt always ends up on a groove, then you can keep the marks off the cylinder face but not necessarily off the grooves.

#19 ·
I have one issue people keep mentioning targets with 5 shots that were in with the Python purchased. I have yet to find a python that came with a target of 5 shots, now that may have been the case with the old 50's and 60's guns but I have guns made in the 70's and up and have purchased these new myself from a dealer and had never seen a target yet. I think people are all hung up on targets. Anyone know exactly when they stopped with the targets? My guns also have 3 powder burn marks on the face of the cylinder indicating it was fired 3 times in every other cylinder for testing by Colt and no turn marks. I think someone needs to clear this target thing up and the hole 5 shot thing.

#20 ·
I have a NIB Python that came from the Custom Shop. It was custom tuned. It has a turn line as would be expected. The question being, how else would they custom tune the action without turning the cylinder? I know this gun to be unfired except at the factory because it has only had two owners. the first one had the gun for 30 years in a safe and them me.

#21 ·
Just because the gun is new doesn't mean the original owner didn't work the action or pop the cylinder open from time to time. Maybe he showed his friend and they popped the cylinder open and closed it. It doesn't mean they fired it. Just dome things that are being overlooked. When a person tells me he sat on the gun for 30 years and placed it in a safe never fired it does that mean he wasn't playing with it while he was watching starski & hutch? Or he didn't clean and oil it for 30 years? I'm not saying this is what happened to your gun but let's be realistic. I remember being a kid and the westerns playing on tv and knowing my uncle had cowboy guns I would ask to see them and handle them as a treat he would let me play with it while the show was on. Unloaded of course. The gun was never fired but I used to click it. Like I stated prior if you open and close the cylinder without trying to make sure the bolt engaging in the proper notch it will mark the cylinder. This is a fact not fiction try it your self if you wish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.