Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walked away from a deal today but still have the chanch to buy.The gun is a blue 6 inch Python serial #944.Condition is about 98% and has no box.I'd say that because it does show rings around the chambers but nothing else.Held in light no touchup can be distinguished or evidence of any reblueing.Grips are correct and still has sharp chekering.I noticed the front sight is different then others and the ramp leading up to the front sight looks maybe different then later models.The front lug is suppose to be hollow too,,boy I thought I knew a lot about Pythons but I'm still learning.Is the gun worth $1550
Joe

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
normally that would be high in my opinion, but the 3 digit serial will add a lot. gun would have to be totally correct. gun was produced in 1956 second yr. of production.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Man, thats a tough call Chevis. If it had a box, and papers, it would be in my opinion on the mark, but without a box, it becomes a judgement call on your part as to how badly you want a 3 serial # Python.

Good luck on your call. I feel your pain!

I meant this reply for Chevis, but my pre dinner Johnny Walker must have clouded my mind.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got till early December to decide.This was at a gunshow this weekend in Tulsa and I told him to bring it back.He was about 10% or more too high on all his guns.I did buy a 6 inch blue 1974 gun with a serial numbered box and papers for around $850 or so.I did a 2 gun trade to my table buddy to get it.I'd had it for $700 like he did but was busy with someone else and he grabbed him first.I'm still cussing him,but I got the gun.I just had to let one of my favorites go to get it,,,a S&W 657 Lew Horton.The 41 mag is a helluva caliber.I fell in love with it,but there will be another.
I talked to a guy who had a door table and he had a boxed 6in Nickel Python he wanted $1200 for it,,passed too.I commented about his position to get the first ones in the door and he said he seen a young man walk in,put a sign on a 410 Winchester for $45,before he could get over there someone was counting the money out for a $1100 shotgun.I laughed my ass off,because greedy as he was he didn't deserve it anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
This is a high three-digit gun, but how often does one see a three digit Python? I probably paid more for my low three-digit gun in the late 1970s/early 1980s after adjusting for inflation. Considering that the stocks alone could bring $300 or more, it does not seem so high. So what if it is a few hundred too high? What will be the asking price for the next similar early gun you get a chance to buy? When will that be? The enjoyment of having the gun in hand for maybe years before another shows up should be worth something.

You mention the front sight not looking right. In what way? Remember, the early Pythons have a higher rib and shorter front sight blade. Could that be what is bothering you about the appearance?

In addition to the hollow lug, another early feature will be the "flat" rear sight. Love those early Pythons!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sight that was pinned to the ramp was almost square and very short,from front to back.I will get my bible out and see if it is right.
-------------------------------------------------------
Oh by the way.I didn't handle the gun as the show was ending and I was over to see him and see if I could wangle a last minute deal.When I was over there earlier I didn't see it at first.
He's retired from American Airlines and knows my table buddy,,,and now me I guess,we chatted about me getting my 20 years in next month.It's hard to get anything from some of these cheap skates sometimes,and now he knows I got the money he might not budge.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my $200 investment in the bible has shown me that the front sight was the same in all the Pythons except the experimental first ones,,so I guess I will spend my money elsewhere.
Thanks for the help
Joe

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
As mentioned above the stocks are worth quite a bit, but the most important fact to check on is if it truly is a hollow lug. There are very few hollow lug models out there. I have heard that they were only made thru 1956, but have never found any proof.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
The under barrel shroud "extension" to the muzzle. Many/most are solid except for the ejector rod "compartment". /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
whats a hallow lug??

[/ QUOTE ]

The hollow lug is shown in this picture just under the barrel. This is a pic from my sold 1959 model. The entire lug in front of the ejector rod head is hollow. It's difficult to make out the hole in the picture but it's there.

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
I do not recall the story on the front sight on Addicted's pictured Python, but, if it looks like yours, that could be more than coincidence. I have never seen a front sight like that pictured, but who knows?

If an early Python is desired, I would buy it anyway and change out the front sight blade, which is readily available, if it bothers you. Does the rear sight have the raised boss around the elevation screw?

I too am not sure how long the hollow lug ran, but, without checking, I recall that my 1960 "Police" Python (1960 was the first year for the 4-inch Python, which Colt dubbed the "Police" Python) has a hollow lug. I will have to check it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Joe, I was the previous owner of number 944 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I bought it for $900 and sold it 2 years later for $1200 from the man that currently owns it.

The gun was culled from the collection.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Yep Kevin,,that looks like the gun,,,was that once yours?
Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it was. You would love it as a shooter.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yikes,,,shooter and collector gun don't seem to click when you're talking a 3 digit Python.Sure is amazeing that the gun has went through so many hands and now is at over $1500.If I could have bought it at $900 and was a 90% gun then it'd be a shooter,,,,for awhile anyway...I'm not saying THIS gun is 90%,,just that it would have to be in that range before I'd consider shooting it like I stold it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I let it go because I felt it was a reblue (and I needed to raise cash). And the burgered front sight is impossible to find. Only a original front sight for a high ribbed barrel will work. Way more difficult to find than full checkered Python stocks.

He is overpriced but then how about serial number 139 that was at the Tulsa show for $3250

·
Registered
72 Posts
Addicted, I'm glad that at least my 1956 Python came with all the correct pieces and the only thing I'm searching for is the grips! The grips are out there but I'm finding they are more expensive then I thought. I took your advice since my first post and have not fired a round out of the python since the first day I bought it (that first day however I didn't know it was a 1956 so I did do some target shooting with it). I actually went out an purchased a Ruger GP 100 to use at the range so I can keep the Python as preserved as possible. I looked at the underlug and it is definitely hollow. Once I get the correct grips I may have to frame it so I can admire it every day!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Wise decision not to shoot. If you ever get the desire to shoot just buy yourself a shooter. If a 90% gun is worth $1500 (its not but it is the asking price) then a 99%+ gun will reach $2250 or more. Premium pricing goes towards high quality guns. When quality degrades, value will fall accordingly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts