Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a King Cobra, I already have Two Pythons, One Blue & One Stainless...Why is the Python at a premium over the Cobra, since both are of the 357 Caliber and SS. The Cobra I am considering is New....Any advise would be appreciated...

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Feel the action on both guns, and it should be easy to feel the difference.
The internal workings of the Python are all hand fitted like a fine watch. The King Cobra is NOT. Not to say that the King Cobra is not a fine revolver. It's just the time, effort, polishing and hand fitting is going to cost you more on the Python.
The King Cobra should run you around $450-$550 NOS.
A NEW or NOS Python SS will run you around $900-$1100.
Neither are currently being made at this time. Word on the street is that Colt will be resuming production on the Python sometime next year.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback, I did pick up a new Python Elite on Gunbroker.com for 1,150...There is now a New Cobra, which I bid $600. But I am still not clear on why the Cobra is less finished then the Python. Was it just the fact that Colt decided to make a similar gun to the Python only with less quality...???

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
Here's some info from an older post:

The Python is rightly known as the finest production revolver ever made. This is because of the very high quality standards set by Colt, the care in building the barrel, and the amount of hand fitting needed to finish it.

The Python uses a slightly different rifling twist, has a tapered bore, and has the mysterious Colt "silver ball" treatment.
For these reasons, the Python is consistently the most accurate revolver ever made.

The Python uses the very old 1900's Colt action that is very complicated, and can be tuned to a high quality trigger action, but can get out of tune if the gun is mistreated, or subjected to a lot of fast, hard double action shooting.
The Python doesn't need to be babied exactly, but they don't take abuse too well.

The King Cobra is the last version of Colt's "J" frame revolver that started with the Trooper Mark 3 of 1969.
The Trooper Mk 3/King Cobra was to be Colt's "budget" priced gun.

The Mark III/King Cobra revolver is a TOTALLY different firearm then the Python.
With a totally different design action.

Colt could no longer compete with the older Colt revolvers that required so much hand fitting, so they developed the world's first "machine fitted" revolver.

The parts in the KC require much, much less fitting, and was cheaper to make, as well as having a stronger action than the Python.
Accuracy wise, the KC is not as accurate, and doesn't have as smooth an action as the Python.
Fit and finish is not up to Python standards, being that it is a "standard" gun.

Unlike the Python, the KC's parts can not be refitted if the action needs repair. Because of the design, parts are simply replaced on the KC.

Bottom line: The Python is up there with Rolex, and Ferrari.
The King Cobra is a Honda Accord....Higher quality than other makes, but not a Python.
The Python is world famous as the absolute best.
The King Cobra is a hell for strong gun that is a step above most other makers best quality guns.

No less an authority than master gunsmith Jerry Kuhnhausen thinks the KC may well be the strongest mid-sized revolver ever made.
If you can afford the Python, want the very best, and are willing NOT to abuse the gun, buy a Python.

If you can't afford the Python, want the next best revolver around, and need a super tough revolver, the KC is it.

Bottom line: The Python is basically a custom made revolver, with an action and exterior finish that requires master craftsmen who lavish extensive hand work on.

The King Cobra is a standard production revolver, requires much less hand fitting, and can be assembled by just trained production personnel.

The difference is like buying a standard, out-of-the-box factory 1911 pistol and one hand built and tuned by a Master gunsmith.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 07-10-2005).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hay DFerris...,

Thank you, that was the answer I was looking for....I understand the differences now, and for the record, I would like to own both...then I will have my Shooting Python 357 Blue, my New in box Python Elite, and a new in box Cobra...and yes I have become a Colt lover....ever since my Colt Diamondback 22...my 38 Det. and my Pythons..Thank you for the feedback...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts