Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Pythons ever come with Eliason sights? Until recently, I've only seen Pythons with ACCROs; the one I saw looks factory installed with a partridge front sight instead of a orange insert ramp.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes Blokey the Elliason rear sight was a custom shop option on the Python as well as other wheel guns. I believe it is the same as used on the Gold Cup's.

What I don't know is if there was a corresponding front Elliason front sight to match. Maybe someone can answer that.

I do have an Elliason rear sight from a Python if you need a photo. Just let me know.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WS23,

Definitely if you have a pic of the sight please post it or email it to me, I'll be grateful.

I'm going to see if I can purchase this Eliason sighted Python. It's not in mint condition and does not come with a box or anything so it'll be a shooter (I currently don't have a shooter Python).

·
Registered
794 Posts
I should have taken a pic of the rear of the sight as looking toward the barrel. Oh well.

I myself, don't like the Elliason sights anymore. This is why I took it off one of my Custom Shop Pythons.

The notch is just slightly smaller with the Elliason and this makes it harder for me to spot and align the front sight.

This was not a problem when my eyesight was better. But now that I use glasses for distance, I just don't seem to be as effective getting the sight picture in the Elliason's.

Some guys will swear by these sights, that the single surface rear notch allows for better focus than the Accro with the insert blade. But for me it just ain't so.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hi, Blokey. I think this conversation was done once before and may be in the lists from this sight If memory serves, I think you need the companion front sight, too ... they're a little more square and slightly fatter or skinnier than the standard accro front sight blade. (Supposed to be more precise, I guess.) They're the same sights as on a Gold Cup, I'm pretty sure. Hope this helps some.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
The Ellison would work with any Python sight, but since the Ellison was a target sight, you often see the gun fitted with a Patridge front sight blade.

This is the sight with an undercut rear face to eliminate glare, and is slightly taller than the stock ramp.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Elliason rear and front patridge blades are available from Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters. I have them on my Python Target and do like the sight picture. The rear sight assembly is not cheap!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just recently sent my Python back to Colt for some work and had them install the Elliason rear and partridge front, cost was around $200 or so for front and rear. Still havent got it back yet. Those Elliasons are pretty hard to find.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got my '77 Python back from Colt after I had them replace the front sight and perform a custom Python action tune.

I bought it used and it was in very good condition (just a nick here and a scratch there) so I plan on using it as a shooter. Colt returned it to me in a Custom Shop blue box in a white sleeve with a new manual and orange revolver disc. They did an excellent job on it, I can't wait to go to the range with it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Nice Python! Not long ago, I looked at an 8" Python target in 38 Special and it had the regular rear Python sight and the undercut front sight - like on a Gold Cup. I didn't shoot it - but I think they'd be terrific! I can see, too - no pun intended - how these might be harder to line up than the standard accro sights. The slot is skinny!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Python w/ Elliason sights?

Well it's been a while (3 months!) but I finally took the Python to the range today and was very pleased with the results:

Now this was only at 25', slow fire, 125 gr. JHP Remington .357 Mag. I don't claim to be a good shot by any stretch of the imagination (I only go to the range a couple times a year) so please don't laugh!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

What impressed me the most was the ease and smoothness of the trigger. This was the first time I shot a Python and I brought my Peacekeeper along for comparison. OMG, there is NO comparison!

Now I now what all the "hype" about the Python is about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts