Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I purchased a 6" blue Python with a serial number of 25xx. There is no prefix of suffix letters. Can anybody date this one? Thanks very much!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
WOW nice find. That is a third year gun....1957! Dick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dick. I paid $600 plus tax which I think was a good deal. It looks brand new except there is a small scratch and ding on the left side of the barrel. The only other negative was HUGE non-original target grips with a massive thumb rest. These are beautiful grips in perfect condition so I'm planning to transfer them to my Colt OM Target. Now I'll start my search for the correct grips!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Look at thread on this forum about "What is date of Python Vxxxxx" there is some great info there from dfariswheel about grips. Per that, looks like you would be looking for type 1 because of B'day. Good Luck, I love quests. Dick
P.S. Great price for a piece from that vintage!!!!!!! I would gladly have paid more!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
$600 for a 1957 Python!!!!!!
You qualify for the bargain of the year award.
Good find and good luck with the grip search.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You got a good deal on your Python. I picked up this 4 digit model from 1959. It's in great shape and came with the original box. I gave $850 for it and was happy to do so. The correct grips for your Python would be the same as these.

Randy

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
Come on people, if we are to be thought of as Colt experts, we should all know that in proper Colt lingo, they are "stocks," not "grips!"

Randy, love the boxed beauty! What is the deal with the front sight? Should not it be a ramp?

·
Registered
40 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JudgeColt:
Randy, love the boxed beauty! What is the deal with the front sight? Should not it be a ramp?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JudgeColt, You're right. It should be a ramp. The ramp was modified into a patridge blade. I'm fairly certain this was done a long time ago. I have a proper ramp to make it correct but I think I'll leave it as it is for now.

I'm more of an S&W guy and we call them "stocks", I wasn't sure you Colt guys used the same lingo.

Randy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Randy, you have one beautiful gun... VERY impressive. Thanks for taking the time to send us a picture showing the correct "STOCKS". I also appreciate the clarification on the patridge blade front sight as mine has a ramp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Randy, Where did you find your correct front ramp sight? I have a 1956 with a patridge front sight and I wish to bring my gun back to original. Thanks for any information you can pass along.

330, Good luck locating the original full checkered stocks. They are very hard to come by.

Vipereater

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Vipereater,
I scrounged the ramp I needed at a gunshow for $10. I really didn't search the web for one but imagine they are out there.

I talked with a couple older Python shooters and from what I understand the change to a patridge front blade was a somewhat common modification on the early guns.

Randy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts