Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I like to shoot handguns, rifles and shotguns. I also reload for all of them.

I have a 6" blue Python made in 1977 or 1978, its sn starts with a 'V'. My dad bought it NIB in 1978 and I bought it NIB from him in 1992. When I shoot any 357 Magnum shells with this Python they are hard to remove from the cylinder, especially from one chamber in particular. The most recent loads are 6.0gr Unique with a CCI 550 primer and a 158 SWC LaserCast lead bullet. I chronographed them at 1065 fps average at the muzzle, for 10 rounds. I measured the chambers and they are 0.380", except for the really bad one which has a burr or some spot (which I can see, just above the base of the cartridge) which makes it 0.378" in that spot, otherwise 0.380". I have a S&W Model 27 and I measured its chambers at 0.381 and all 357 Magnum empties are easily removed from the S&W. I also have a Taurus 607 and its chambers are 0.381" also, and all spent 357 Magnum cases are easily removed.

I contacted Colt Manufacturing Company yesterday and they said that I can send it to them for repair. They will access the problem and contact me to tell me if it is "chargable" or not. It might be fixed for free. I looked at their web site www.coltsmfg.com and it says that the warranty is for 1996 and newer firearms.

When I shoot light 38 Special rounds (650 fps with 158gr SWC lead) from the Python the empties are easily removed.

Have any of you encountered a Python with this problem? What would you people do to resove the issue, send it to CMC or take it to a local gunsmith, or what? Have any of you had Colt Manufacturing Company repair an older firearm like this for free? Anyone have any idea how much it should cost at a local gunsmith?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
I'd send it to Colt.
At least there your expensive Python will get repaired RIGHT.

If the "burr" in the tight chamber is a factory defect, Colt will repair it for no charge, in all likelihood.

Whether you pay or Colt does it free, your Python is too expensive not to have repaired, and certainly too valuable to trust to a local gunsmith who may know what he's doing and maybe not.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 07-12-2005).]

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
ed, a quick test would be to shoot some heavy load .38`s in the gun and see if they extract easily. my guess is they will, i suspect carbon, lead build up in front of the shorter cases from shooting the 38`s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

icdux1, I thought the problem might also be caused by shooting 38 specials so I give the very tight chamber a very thorough cleaning. Cleaning the chamber didn't have any effect. The tightness is at the entrance to the chamber, and I believe I can see a 'burr' or some obstruction.

dfariswheel, I agree and plan to send it to Colt. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. I really like shooting this revolver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts