Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a Colt Python, did Colt's number their wood target grips to these guns? I ask this, because I will soon have a late 1980's Python, that came with the rubber grips-and, I would like to put the Colt(Wood)target grips on it(But, if these are numbered to the gun(Like S&W does!)then these grips, wouldn't be original to the gun?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
I don't know about the very early grips from the 1950's Python's, but by the 1960's Colt wasn't numbering grips for the Python.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dfariswheel:

Thank you very much, Sir! I was hoping that I could change the rubber grips that were original to the mid to late, 1980's Python that I'm in the process of buying(Thanks, to you, again(And other forum members)!)to some Colt(Wood)target grips, without harming the originality of the gun? The only problem now, is going to be finding a nice set of these?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Mr. 38, understand that certain year Pythons with specific finish in specific barrel lengths came from the factory with the rubber stocks. So if your new Python came with the RCS or the RTS and you switch to the WTS, you ARE affecting (harming?) the originality of the gun.

For example if the Python you just bought was from 1988 in STS with 6" barrel, it came with RTS, and anyone who could date your Python based on the S/N (or the maroon box) would know in a minute that the wood you will have put on them are not original.

But it is your gun and you can dress it as you see fit. I also happen to like the WTS better. However I don't believe they belong on a 1990 4" STS Python.

BTW, if you bought a late 80's gun be sure to get stocks with the correct style medallions as that is another dead give away to non original or stock swaps.

So is this just another find at your secret, never to be disclosed, Kalifornia gun store that specializes in Colts?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've seen dozens of Colt wood grips-Python, O.P., Officer's Models-of this frame size and have never seen a pair numbered. I agree about the wood vs. rubber grips. I bought a 1969 6 in. last year that had Pach's on it and couldn't get correct woods (on ebay) quickly enough. Ditto with a 2 1/2 in. blue. Found-again on ebay-the correct service stocks for it and it looks great. I also have a 4 in. Python Elite that I polished to bright stainless that came with those gawd-awful Hogue-type grips. Put on an almost new pair of service grips with silver meds. from an Official Police. They're very dark and contrast nicely with the bright stainless. When I shoot it, I put on a pair of the thin Pachs. I keep all the original "stuff" if I have it; I just like the looks of the wood Colt grips. -Asa

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WS23:

1)The Python that I'm in the process of buying, is the 4-inch model(And it has Pachmayr finger groove grips(With the Colt emblems!)on it! If I get some wood(Colt)target grips, I'll just put them on for "Display" and will save the original colt RTS! BTW, what does the "STS" type stocks, stand for?

2)What is your opinion of the general quality of a late 1980's Python(Like I'm getting)? Pro or Con?

3)BTW(Regarding that "Viper" box)that you offered me once, if you still have it(Or, a better one, like it?)I might have to take you up on your offer? I had been waiting for the Gun Shop(That had sold me the Viper, to come through with a box for me(As they had promised!))? But, so far, no luck!

4)No, this 1980's Python, isn't located at my "Secret" Collectible, type of Gun Shop(Where I usually hang out!)! One day, I'll reveal this location to you(As I had previously, promised, I would!)?

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 01-23-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 01-24-2005).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
1) STS stands for Stainless Steel finish. It was not in reference to stocks.

2) My opinion is pretty much the same as you have heard before from others. Just because a particular gun was produced during the turbulent years, does not necessarily make it poor quality.

3) We'll figure this one out later.

4) I am getting older every day and deeper in debt. So "One day, I'll reveal this location to you" may be to late for me to act!

Although I'm not a big fan of the Goodyear rubber look on the classic Colts, I do believe they have their use. For almost every gun I take to the field, I have a set of rubber specifically for outdoor use. So when I take it out, the wood stocks stay tucked safely away. When the gun returns to the safe and display status, they again are fitted with the wood stocks. Sounds to me like you intend a somewhat similar action.

More 2 cents worth: You clearly have been around these Colt guns. I've seen your photos and read your posts. You have a good collection of high quality guns. Your interests are usually on the high end side. Or put another way, "this ain't your first dance." So trust your own intuition and knowledge. If it looks right and the price is right, put a stake in the ground and stop waffling! You know what a good gun is and you know what a fair value is too. I think you just want consensus.

So having said that, please be sure to post pictures after you pick it up!

·
Registered
254 Posts
asa, if you would like to see a pic of colt grips number to the gun, let me know I just bought a 1956 OP in .22 and the grips have the last four didgets of the serial number penciled on them.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WS23:

1)Yes, I do have a few nice Colt's, in my meager Colt collection! However, although I have seen a few Python's, since I'm older too(And, also, deeper in debt!)I wanted to pick the "Brains" of all of the Colt Python experts, on this "Beloved" forum? The reason is because I feel that these Python's, represent a big expediture-and, regardless of whatever knowledge that I have gained(About Colt's)up to this point, I believe that some of you fella's that have been around these python's(Much longer than I!)as well as those of you, that have owned, experienced, and have "Cuddled" these Python's, have such a vast knowledge of these guns, that I felt that I could benefit "Greatly" from this superior knowledge! The bottom line is, that I didn't want to just jump into buying any Python, until I could gather some precious("Expertise")from the Python "Experts" on this forum? This is because I desire to obtain the best Python, that I can get for my money? I have already received alot of good input here(Including yours, WS23!)! But, my mind won't leave me alone(About these Python's!)until I have uncovered every last rock(So to speak!)as I believe that there is much more, that I could learn about these guns?

2)I would like to hear from you, about the possibility of your having the previous Colt box(For my Viper?)or if you have a better one(Whenever you are ready to share this information?)?

3)I still don't like the idea of buying a Python made during the Colt "Strike" years(In the 1980's!)but, the Python I'm considering to buy, does look pretty good(But, this is the only Python in this Gun Shop, for me to view-so I can't compare this gun directly against other Python's!)? I'm now awaiting Colt, to send me an e-mail, regarding when this Python was made?

4)Thanks, for your excellent information about the Colt rubber grips versus the wood target grips! When I first saw this specific Python, I didn't remember if Colt had offered both the wood and the rubber grips(At the same time?)or, if they only offered these in the rubber grips only? I would wonder how Python collector's might desire these Python's that only came with these rubber grips(Or, if they might prefer to just pass one of these by(to obtain an original gun that came with the Colt(wood)target grips?))? On these rubber grip Python's, did Colt do good bluing on the backstrap(Since they had intended this area to be covered by the rubber grips?

5)I will try to make sure, that I'll "Reveal" my secret "Gun shop" to you, long before you "Bite the dust"(As I'm getting old too-so, I can't hold out too much longer!)?

6)I do appreciate the help that you have been giving me(As well as from the others!)and, I'm learning quite a bit more, from this forum(To expand my knowledge even further!)! One can never learn too much!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 01-24-2005).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I agree with WS23 Mikal, you really need to stop waffling so much on your buying decisions and stop anquishing. If you build up so many questions and raise so many doubts about a certain piece, when you finally do get it, you will NEVER enjoy the pure fun of having it, because you will always have that "one" more question and doubt in your mind and it will never go away.
What's the fun in that? Stop anquishing and just buy it and enjoy what you have for the short time you have it for we are only "custodians" of what's here on earth.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Diamondback68:

1)Thanks! And, I have to agree with you, about how "Punishing" it is to "Strive" so hard for "Perfectionism"(Only, in the end, to still not have found "Utopia"!)?

2)Actually, before I got the idea to own a Python, I probably wouldn't have gotten so worked up about the differences in "Quality" between all of the different years of Pythons(Except, for all of the talk I've read on the "Forum" about some of these, turning out to be "Lemons"!)and this, has caused me to want to try to "Pindown" the Python's not to buy? I had always just "Assumed" that a Python, was just a Python(With all of them, supposedly, having superior quality?)! I just wanted to do whatever was possible-to try to avoid getting a "Lemon" of a Python?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Colt38,

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned that you were waiting on an "email" from COLT to get the production date for the Python you are looking at.

I wanted the same info for my Python and "dfariswheel" from this forum was kind enough to provide the following number for me to call: 800-962-2658. The COLT customer service people gave the production date for my Python as well as my 1911 which I also asked about.

r/Don

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
Assuming that you're also posting on another forum under another name, here's my answer from that forum:

Here's the best info on mid-1980's Colt quality:

1. I own TWO Pythons from the mid-1980's. Both are stainless guns.
These are some of the finest Python's I ever saw, MECHANICALLY, and in fit of parts.
THAT'S why I bought them.
I'm an expert on Colt DA revolvers, and I know what to look for.

2. I've seen Python's from the strike years that had mechanical or cosmetic problems.
I've also seen Pythons from the mid-1950's when quality was supposed to be at the top that had problems.
Also guns from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's.............
GOOD guns get made during Bad times, BAD guns get made during good times.

3. The Python's from the 50's and 60's "USUALLY" had somewhat better polish and blue jobs.
NOT always, but usually.
The mechanics and fit of the guns were no better or worse than later guns.

4. Up until the mid-1990's Colt "usually" had the standard of fitting rubber grips to stainless guns, and wood grips to blued guns.
Depending on the circumstances at the factory, the stainless guns sometimes had wood grips.
I personally know of NO standard production blued Python that left the factory with rubber grips, UP UNTIL the mid-90's.

In every case I personally have seen, blued standard production Pythons from the pre-mid 1990's that were fitted with rubber grips, were fitted AFTER the factory.
Usually this was a case of people selling the gun, and robbing the wood grips.

So, if you have a pre-mid 1990's blue Python it almost certainly left the factory with Walnut grips.
If it's a stainless gun, it "probably" left with rubber.

Bottom line: LOOK at Pythons. When you see one that looks good to YOU, buy it.
You have to look at the INDIVIDUAL gun.
Buy a Python based on what someone on the internet says is a "good" or "bad" time, and you'll either pass on a gem, or buy a dog.

BUY A PYTHON. You'll like it, Hillary and Schumer will hate it.

ADDITION:
While it's a good idea to get input on the internet about firearms unknown to you, asking questions about the quality of firearms KNOWN to be top-of-the-line models, is somewhat an exercise in futility.

I told you about my experience with Python's.
Shortly, John Q will chime in about the horrible turkey he got.

What you've learned is: Do NOT buy John Q's Python. If I wanted to sell mine, buy it.

What this tells you about a Python in a gun shop is precisely NOTHING.

I've seen great Pythons, and I've seen guns that never should have left the factory.
What I CAN'T see is the gun YOU'RE looking at.
I, and no one else can tell you if THAT gun is a treasure or a piece of junk.

You've listened to all the opinions.
You're the one who can see the Python.

Make a decision to buy or not based on what YOU can SEE.
In other words, Defecate or Abdicate.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
dfariswheel, god I love the way you talk.
You said it much more clearly than I could.
I especially like that last part.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, dfariswheel! What you said, makes good sense! At least I now know, that all 1980's Python's are not "Turkey's"! This means, that as you have said, that if I carefully inspect the Python that I'm considering to buy(Carefully!)and, it checks out mechanically(And looks good to my eyes?)then, it should turn out to be a good Python(Despite it being produced in the "strike" years!)! This is really, all I needed to hear! So, I'm going to look the Python I'm considering over real good-and hope that I'll get "Lucky" to get a good Python from the 1980's production? If not, then, I'll search for another Python? And,I will look it over good too?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Kennedy-Thanks for the info. on the numbered grips. If you want to post a pic, I'd enjoy seeing it. It always did seem strange-not that Colt doesn't do strange things-that they'd number the box and not the grips. Glad to know they did it, anyway. -Asa

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: "Lemon Pythons"

I made mention on another gun forum about my experience with "lemons" from Colt.

I had the distinct Pleasure(?) of working at a gun shop just when Colt's quality went South for a season.

Here's one good way to determine whether gun-guys or office nerds made the Python of your dream at the turn of the Eighties:

Check the hard edges of the gun - especially where the scallop is that meets the barrel/frame area. It should be crisp. Likewise with the leading edge of the cylinder and the bolt notches. If all this looks a bit over-polished, like a poor re-finish, it's because non-gunners made them during a Colt labor dispute and couldn't care less about appearance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
asa, if you would like to see a pic of colt grips number to the gun, let me know I just bought a 1956 OP in .22 and the grips have the last four didgets of the serial number penciled on them.
My circa 1968 Detective Special does also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts