Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to purchase a very nice, not abused 60s era 6 inch blue Python with screwed up bluing for $500. No pits, just stored improperly w/o oil on it. Would it be worth it to get it reblued by Colt and if so what are they charging now a days?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Sorry Moose,
I don't think it will be worth your wild.
It's gonna run you a couple hundred easy to get it redone. Call Colt on Tuesday for a quote.
I would think by the time you pay the shipping and misc and Colt for the Reblue, you'll end up with around $800 total for a re-blued vintage Python.
I think if you shop around and wait a little while, you can find yourself a minty original vintage Colt Python 6 incher for around the same dough.

But then again, that's just my 2 cents.
Good luck, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Jeff makes a good point. If you wanted it strictly as a shooter, leave the finish as is, just keep it oiled so as not to corrode, then it may be worth considering (see if they could go down on the price some more).

If your intention is to reblue it then you'll have spent what a good condition gun with its original finish would have cost in the first place.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Use the finish as the major point in your haggling. Like the others have said the investment to bring it back to like new will get you an original for about the same amount. Also after you invest in the refinish the resale value still won't equal an original even if it was a factory reblue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts