Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
What are the proper cleaning methods to ensure that the Python is kept cleaned?
Don't shoot it and keep it in the safe. That will keep her clean foe sure.
Just joking.
I'm curious, How many rounds do you have through it that you want to do a detailed strip of the gun ?

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Jeff is definitely going to give you better advice, but everything I have read suggests that any "detail cleaning or breakdown" is best left to the factory because of the very tight tolerances.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Disassembly and detail cleaning is for the fairly competent but not necessarily just the factory IMO. If you want to know what is involved, buy "The Colt Double Action Revolvers, A Shop Manual, Vol. I" by Jerry Kuhnhausen from Midway or other book sellers. It covers Colt E, I and D frame revolvers to a gunsmith level. :)

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,376 Posts
Since the Python is so valuable these days, I'll strongly second buying the Kuhnhausen manual listed above.
Buy Volume ONE, Volume Two is for guns like the Mark III and King Cobra models.

The book is more than worth it just so you can determine if your gun is in proper timing and operating condition.

Other than repairing a problem, or if the gun was dropped in the mud, there's seldom a reason to do a full disassembly, and you can do serious harm.

To clean a Python, you do about the same thing as any other revolver.
1. Clean the bore with a good cleaning rod, bore brushes, solvent, and patches.
If you shoot lead, buy a Lewis Lead Remover kit from Brownell's.

2. Clean the chambers with a bronze chamber brush (also from Brownell's) solvent, and patches.

3. Use a clean toothbrush to clean under the ejector, both the underside of the ejector and its seat in the rear of the cylinder.

4. Clean the breech face and the rear of the barrel area with solvent, patches, and toothbrushes.

5. If the gun is stainless steel (NOT BLUED) you can use a "lead-away" type cloth to rub off carbon or leading from the front of the cylinder. The cloth WILL strip bluing right off, so no blued guns.
If the gun is blued and the build up gets too heavy, soak the cylinder face with solvent and scrub with a brass "toothbrush".
Unless the build up gets to the point of interfering with operation, there's no need to do more than wipe the cylinder face with a solvent soaked patch.
Attempting to remove all fouling so the gun looks unfired is useless, and often can cause damage.

After the gun is cleaned and dried, put a small drop of your favorite lubricant in the front of the cylinder where the crane shaft enters the cylinder.
Put a drop down the front of the cocked hammer.

That's all that's needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts