Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a quick look at a minty one in the original cardboard box the other day,priced at $900.I recall that it had a five digit serial number,no letters.Would that make it an early one?Sorry for lack of additional info.Thanks.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
A five digit serial number, no prefix or suffix, would put it somewhere between 1960 and 1969. It would be a good one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please bear with me,I've become wary of Colts because of whaat I think is excessive talk on other forums about their timing issues,lack of capable gunsmiths, but it seems to me that a Python belongs in any high quality collection.-Right vintage,right condition,right price,box and papers.Seems like a no loose proposition.If I do some sort of timing check,go for it? Thank you,gents.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm on my second Python ( late-70's vintage). First was just a regular nickeled 6", from 1980. Shot it a bunch, and NEVER had a single timing or indexing issue. The one I have now is a 1978 Custom Shop-tuned gun, and again, I fail to see where all this baloney comes from.
I'm a Smith & Wesson collector, and I know firsthand all about guns 'shooting loose' and all that.
Most of the badmouthing about Colts and their 'delicate action' comes from diehard S & W folks, or from somebody who's got an old Colt that was used as a pile-driver, abused, etc.
Proper maintenance will make ANY revolver dependable, and that's a fact!
Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts