Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 1979 Colt Python 6" blue, beautiful pistol. No sign of wear. Bought from original owner (friend) he advised that the pistol may have had 3 boxes run through it, and the pistol shows that to be true. When I took it to the range out of 50 rounds, 4 were misfires. Fireing pin hit the primer, but no boom. Someone mentioned that it sounded like a "light strike". Can anyone explain a "light strike", it sounds spring related.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My vote would go towards the ammunition used... Was it old? New? Brand Name? Off Brand?

The Technical Gentelman will soon cast their votes giving you the details regarding light hits I'm sure...

At any rate Adiozmf, welcome to the Colt Forum...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
adiozmf- I like that name and welcome to the Forum. Buddies and I just used to say "AMF" when saying goodbye.

The previous owner of your Python could have done some home gunsmithing,as seen in several popular(and IMO,dangerous in areas)books on this.

The Colt leaf spring(2 leaves,like a wishbone)may have had too large a drill rod stuck between the leaves,then the gun cocked. This WILL lighten the mainspring-BUT can lighten it TOO MUCH. This only requires removing the stocks(grips) to gain access to it.

Unless you know how to "rebend the mainspring",which should be out of the gun to do it correctly,and this requires sideplate removal,not e-z unless you know how to,I would take it to a qualified gunsmith. Replacement springs will run no more than $20,I think.

Good Luck and hopefully it was the ammo,as was said.

Bud

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Were the indentions on the primers the same depth or are the indentions on the rounds that didn't go off not as deep as the others?

·
Registered
56 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Were the indentions on the primers the same depth or are the indentions on the rounds that didn't go off not as deep as the others?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, that's the question. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
just wondering if the gun was cleaned before being stored, a couple boxes of short .38 ammo and then being stored might crud up the chambers enough to prevent the cart. case from entering completly, the hammer strike energy would be lessened by the cart case seating with the blow.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that's the question.

[/ QUOTE ]
But since the poster doesn't know what a light strike is, only that someone said it might be one, then the question should be asked of him. It could be that the rounds had defective primers and he wasn't getting light strikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all you suggestions and help. The ammo was new Magtech 158 gr. Pistol was cleaned before and after the visit to the range, both barrel and cylinder. I did not notice if the strike on the primer was a different depth between the expended rounds and the failures. I will try some other ammunition and if the problem persists, the pistol will visit the gunsmith.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts