Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks can anyone tell me when my Python was made. The serial # is 134149.

It's a 4" blue and man is she tight. I bought a 6" blue back in 76 and ended up trading her off. Been sorry ever since. But I don't believe that 6" was as tight as this 4" I just got.

Chuck

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
good catch, yes i am wrong.serials after 90,000{1969} should have a letter prefix.please disregard my earlier post, unless that last didget is a typo /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man now I'm really confused! LOL! As far as I can tell that's the only number on it.

The guy didn't have the original grip it has Pachmire I think. I saw some on gunparts. I was hoping to be able to replace the original grips just to have them I like the pachmires fine.

Just got it today. Looks like someone put some white paint in the lettering but half of it has eroded since the pic was taken.

Chuck

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
ok i get 1978 with the added info., production started in 1979 at serial v36737, sorry i confused you chuck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's alright icdux it don't take much to confuse me LOL!

Man I was hopin' for 77 but I guess 78 is good enough. If you look at my DOB it's 7/7 !

Thanks a lot icdux! Man this baby is super tight!
Hey BTW what type of grips should this baby wear. Got any part numbers or anything?
Chuck

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
A 1978 Python would have been shipped with the Third Type Target Grips.

Here's what they look like:

These turn up on ebay fairly often, but be warned, the going price for Colt Target grips is SKYHIGH and climbing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
A 1978 Python would have been shipped with the Third Type Target Grips.

Here's what they look like:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks any ideas where the best place to get em?

Chuck

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
I must have modified my post after your last:

"These turn up on Ebay fairly often, but be warned, the going price for Colt Target grips is SKYHIGH and climbing."

You can sometimes find Colt Target grips at gun shows, in gun store "junk" boxes, and by advertising on the Colt forum "For Sale" area.

The grips on Ebay are selling for upwards of $200.00 the last couple of months.

The last pair I found were a Second Type Target grip in a new local gun shop. They were in a pile various grips of all makes and needed refinishing, but the price was $20.00.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts