Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Colt Python s/n K10xx5 in a wood presentation case. It has Ivory Nude Lady Grips, and 5 other ivory tools. What is its value? I tried to upload photos, having problem with the upload.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Welcome to merry band of misfits bigbob.+1 with feralmerril.If all the ivory is true ivory it might be worth more than the gun.Hope to see the photos soon.If you will send them as an attachment to me I'll get them posted for you. wingman143 at gmail.com...D*

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Seems that since you just bought it; it's worth what you paid.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Thats out of my pay grade. I would guess the starting point would be maybe almost double what the plain gun would bring? How about a close up of the stocks? They sound interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Now that's a nice Colt Python. Any close-up pictures? Congratulations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just uploaded photo, 6" Barrel. No paper work with gun, I sent for a Colt Letter. I never seen a Colt Python like this. Looked unique.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
This gets complicated.

First question on value is: Are the grips and accessories real ivory or a synthetic? Obviously real ivory is worth far more than a synthetic.

Second question is who assembled the cased set?
If this was done as a special order from Colt, the value skyrockets since genuine Colt factory work brings a premium.
If it was not Colt factory and was done by a custom gunsmith, value will not be as much.
If it was done by a custom gunsmith, WHO that person or company was may add to the value, or maybe not.

Determining if it's Colt factory may be difficult. If the set was special ordered from Colt, a Colt Archive letter would list the custom features, when it was shipped, and who it was shipped to.
If the gun was bought, then sent back to Colt for the work, the Archive letter will not show any custom work, since Archive letters only address the gun as it was when it originally shipped.

If an Archive letter just shows the gun as a standard production gun, the only possible help would be who the gun was shipped to.
As example, if it was shipped to a known custom gunsmith this would give you information for further research.
If there is no useful info on an Archive letter, finding out who did the work may be impossible.

Last, assigning a value to a set like this is always difficult due to the above factors and what the market value for such a set is worth.
Arriving at a valid value may require the services of an expert firearms appraiser.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info, I ordered the factory letter and will follow up with more research. Any one know a expert firearms appraiser ?

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Rare to see target sized ivory stocks. Would be better if they did not have a nude woman carved on them (even though I do like nude women)...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the feedback, the whole package is a work of art, including the grips. Gun looks to not have been fired.
Still trying to estimate its value.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts