Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Python\'s $1,000+!?

Greetings, Gang. I'd like to hear from some similar-minded guys that like the OMM's, Troopers pre and post Mark IV and V, .357's, etc., is a Python worth the price these days? I haven't even SEEN one of these Ultimates or Elites or whatevers in my neck of the plains but I've owned several earlier ones. One was magnificent ... one was half the gun an S&W model 10 is and one was stolen from the shop before I made the final ransom payment. Whaddya' say, guys? I know, talk IS cheap, but before I hock the John Deere and my slide trombone, I'd like to hear some opinions. Perhaps Mr. Farris would comment? A Python vs. a .38 OMM? Accuracy? How about an OMM vs. one of the .38, 8" target Pythons? Over?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Re: Python\'s $1,000+!?

RC: I will defer to DFaris on this issue, but my own two cents is that the Python is the Rolls Royce of the line. If you have money to burn like all RR owners, get the Python. If you are like the 99% of the rest of us for whom money does not grow on trees, then you should consider the Officers Models. Those guns had fabulous workmanship and finish. The few that I have actually fired were all dead on, and made me feel like I was a lot better shot than I deserve to call myself. I own one Python that I picked up in a great trade a couple of years ago and have never shot. It is hard to imagine that it will shoot better than the Officers Models I have fired. That is my vote! Charlie

·
Registered
21 Posts

It is true that the Python is the Rolls Royce of post war Colt Revolvers. If your going to spend that kind of money I recommend an early model with full checkered stocks. I have a 1956 & 1959 model. (I'm in search of a 1955 1st year model) A 6" Python has great balance, the trigger is like silk, the high polish finish, the unique high rib and the expensive full checkered stocks. Full checkered stocks in mint condition are now worth close to $200 and that makes the early models a steal. Early Pythons can be purchased for less money than today's current factory model. Personally, some Pythons are worth the high price.....others are not. Pythons do not cost $1000 but more like $600-900. A steal would be anything below $600 and they are out there. I've only heard stories. : (

Vipereater

·
Registered
21 Posts

Wow, that's a tough question. I've been blessed to own and shoot them all. The Pythons are just plain sexy... they make a visual statement no other revolver can match. They are far more accurate than I could possibly shoot and the butter smooth action is second to none.

My second vote is for the Officers Model Match followed by the Target and Special. Considering the high prices the OM's tend to fetch these days, a smart shopper may be able to find a nicely used Python for just a little more than an OM. Certainly, the availabilty of Pythons seems to be far greater.

The "sleeper guns" in my opinion are the very early Troopers, especially the "357" model. I also happen to think the MKIII Troopers are a fine choice- far easier to find and much less costly... terrific value.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

I told this sad story on another post.

I stopped by one of my frequented pawn shops that I had neglected for a month or so, and other than a late model M19, he didn't have much. As I am rounding up or conversation, the owner says " Dick, you should have stopped by yesterday, I had a Python 8" blue, almost no drag line, one little scratch, I let it go for $300 because I didn't have any money in it, so I let it go to turn some dollars." AAARRRGGGHHH don't tell me that!

So they are out there, we just have to be in the right place at the right time and then we call it "luck". Dick

·
Registered
8 Posts

I don't know too much about Colt Products, but I just purchased a Python. (I have a few other Colts) I am not sure yet of the vintage yet. I believe it was made in the 1970's or 1980's. A guy's 80 year old father gave it to him. The guy did not like guns and priced it for $300. Needles to say I purchased it on the spot, before anyone else could open (or close) their mouths. He is still happy with the sale & so am I.

It does not have as nice as trigger as others that I have seen, but it is very accurate. There is not a mark on the Nickel or the Stocks, but at some point I will seek to have an action job done. Maybe by Colt, if they do this.

As far as the Officer's Model They are accurate also, but I sort of like the Python better. If you can get one with a great trigger--then go for it!!!

Sojourner.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Some Colt's I own: Python (1961, 1968) Officer's Model Target (1927), Officer's Model Match (1953), Official Police (1943), SAA (1905, 1909, 1916 and others), Gov't Models, Commanders (1916, 1942 and some newer) plus some others (Magnum Carry, 1999, 3 AR-15's).

My 53 OMM shoots as good or better than anything else, including in double action. My 1943 OP (5 inch barrel) runs a close second, including double action.

The Pythons are beautiful, nice shooting revolvers.

However, the 3 SAA's are irreplaceable to me.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

OK. Thanks, Charlie. How about Diamondbacks? I remember a guy couldn't hit, "a cow in the tit with a tin cup," almost matching my scores with one. (I was shooting a fixed-sight Official Police.) How do they match up for accuracy and action to the big, "P's?" <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ordnanceguy:
RC: I will defer to DFaris on this issue, but my own two cents is that the Python is the Rolls Royce of the line. If you have money to burn like all RR owners, get the Python. If you are like the 99% of the rest of us for whom money does not grow on trees, then you should consider the Officers Models. Those guns had fabulous workmanship and finish. The few that I have actually fired were all dead on, and made me feel like I was a lot better shot than I deserve to call myself. I own one Python that I picked up in a great trade a couple of years ago and have never shot. It is hard to imagine that it will shoot better than the Officers Models I have fired. That is my vote! Charlie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

OK. Thanks, Mr. R. "The thrill's in the chase," is what I'm hearing? Anything to ad about Diamondbacks? Thanks for you info. This Colt site is a great help for guys like me with fewer people in the county than cows. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rodgers330:
Wow, that's a tough question. I've been blessed to own and shoot them all. The Pythons are just plain sexy... they make a visual statement no other revolver can match. They are far more accurate than I could possibly shoot and the butter smooth action is second to none.

My second vote is for the Officers Model Match followed by the Target and Special. Considering the high prices the OM's tend to fetch these days, a smart shopper may be able to find a nicely used Python for just a little more than an OM. Certainly, the availabilty of Pythons seems to be far greater.

The "sleeper guns" in my opinion are the very early Troopers, especially the "357" model. I also happen to think the MKIII Troopers are a fine choice- far easier to find and much less costly... terrific value.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Oh, yes! I guess it's a personal preference but I certainly admire Colt's nickled anything! I have heard Colt does wonderful repairs and action work but its quite costly. The gunsmiths I've run into in Kansas either will not work on Colt 2X revolvers or shouldn't! One ruined a nice 4" blue Python for me, once. He's dead now. No, I didn't shoot him! (But the thought crossed my mind.) <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sojourner:
I don't know too much about Colt Products, but I just purchased a Python. (I have a few other Colts) I am not sure yet of the vintage yet. I believe it was made in the 1970's or 1980's. A guy's 80 year old father gave it to him. The guy did not like guns and priced it for $300. Needles to say I purchased it on the spot, before anyone else could open (or close) their mouths. He is still happy with the sale & so am I.

It does not have as nice as trigger as others that I have seen, but it is very accurate. There is not a mark on the Nickel or the Stocks, but at some point I will seek to have an action job done. Maybe by Colt, if they do this.

As far as the Officer's Model They are accurate also, but I sort of like the Python better. If you can get one with a great trigger--then go for it!!!

Sojourner.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

OK, Mr. W. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Your collection sounds terrific! A few weeks ago, I got the chance to handle a late-model SAA - .45, 45/8th's, nickled ... I just loved it. Haven't got around to buying one yet nor had opportunity to shoot one, but, ... SOMEDAY! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by R. Walter:
Some Colt's I own: Python (1961, 1968) Officer's Model Target (1927), Officer's Model Match (1953), Official Police (1943), SAA (1905, 1909, 1916 and others), Gov't Models, Commanders (1916, 1942 and some newer) plus some others (Magnum Carry, 1999, 3 AR-15's).

My 53 OMM shoots as good or better than anything else, including in double action. My 1943 OP (5 inch barrel) runs a close second, including double action.

The Pythons are beautiful, nice shooting revolvers.

However, the 3 SAA's are irreplaceable to me.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

In my Diamondback collection I have:

2 1/2" blue 38spl.
4" blue 38spl.
6" blue 38spl.
2 1/2" blue 22lr.
4" blue 22lr.
6" blue 22lr.
4" nickel 38spl.
6" nickel 38spl.
6" nickel 22lr.
That being said, I haven't the foggiest notion how they shoot, cause none of them have ever had a cartidge put in them, at least not by me, and some of them not by anybody ever. So you can see what a great help I am. Dick

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 09-19-2003).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well, raise my rent! Mr. Diamond, I guess you must be the first genuine, real-life, "Collector," I've ever talked with. More power to ya'! Say, if you get sick of looking at that nickel .38 4", let me know! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:
In my Diamondback collection I have:

2 1/2" blue 38spl.
4" blue 38spl.
6" blue 38spl.
2 1/2" blue 22lr.
4" blue 22lr.
6" blue 22lr.
4" nickel 38spl.
6" nickel 38spl.
6" nickel 22lr.
That being said, I haven't the foggiest notion how they shoot, cause none of them have ever had a cartidge put in them, at least not by me, and some of them not by anybody ever. So you can see what a great help I am. Dick

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 09-19-2003).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

That nickel 38SPL is one beautiful gun.
I got that from a guy who bought it new, filled the chambers, fired six rounds, emptied it and put it back in the box, never to be fired again. Only paid $450 for it. If and when I ever get tired of collecting Diamondbacks or I don't think my boys are deserving of them, you are next on my list for that one. OK? Dick

·
Registered
127 Posts

diamonback68That nickel 38SPL is one beautiful gun.
I got that from a guy who bought it new, filled the chambers, fired six rounds, emptied it and put it back in the box, never to be fired again. Only paid $450 for it. If and when I ever get tired of collecting Diamondbacks or I don't think my boys are deserving of them, you are next on my list for that one. OK? Dick

$450? Where did you get such a great deal?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

rm

The guy had just taken it out of his safe, loaded it after all these years, and put it under his bed and was going to use it for home protection when I heard about it from my barber who knew him. When I called the guy he didn't want to sell it (the new home protection thing) but got a call two days later that his computer had just rolled snake eyes and needed cash for new one. This was just last year and I know what a good deal I got on it, but the guy may have taken even a little less, but I guess I got a heart and 'puters aren't cheap. Dick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts