Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I made it to the range for the first shooting session this year.
Due to the price of gas and the distance to the range, i can't go nearly as much as I'd like.

I fired off 6 mags of 5.45x39 7N6-PS ammo for my AK-74. It was a brand new Bulgarian de-milled kit assembled by Ohio Rapid Fire.
With my aging eyes the sights might as well not be there, and I could actually see them better without my glasses.
However, It's still deadly at at last 100 yards, bad eyes or not.

The trouble is, it kills out the front and maims to the right side. No exaggeration, it tosses ejected cases 10 to 15 feet up and 20 to 30 feet to the right.
This makes it difficult to shoot on a public range when someone is shooting to the right side of me.
A friend has an AK-74 also, and he actually found ejected cases stuck mouth first in a tree on his private range, 20 feet away.

Still, it's a fun gun, cheap to shoot but a pain in the rear end to clean, starting with the hot water flush.
The heavy carbon and copper fouling is tough to get out of the muzzle brake and gas cylinder even with Slip 2000 Carbon Killer.

After the AK, I went over to the pistol range and shot about 100 rounds from my 4 inch stainless Python.
I got comments about what a nice gun it was, since a lot of people don't seem to think you should shoot a Python these days due to the value.
I tell them not shooting them is like not driving a Ferrari.

One man said he owned a 6 inch blue and asked to try the action on mine.
Once he did he asked who'd tuned it.
I told him I had and he practically clung to my leg as I went to the car to leave, begging me to do his.
I had to explain that I was retired and no longer doing work, but he didn't want to take no for an answer.
It got to the point another shooter I knew had to tell him to back off.

The point is, if you own a Python, unless it's brand new in the box and you're keeping it as a collectible, you owe it to yourself to shoot the greatest DA revolver ever made in America.
Shooting it isn't going to ruin it, it isn't going to suddenly go out of time or break.
It's the gun owners version of taking that Ferrari on a nice drive over a curvy road. Sheer enjoyment.

Next week......... another trip, gas prices be damned. This time out, the 6 inch stainless Python and either the stainless .45 Colt Government Model or the S&W Model 66 Combat Magnum with the rare 3 inch barrel.
Maybe all three!!!

It ain't gonna get any cheaper and we're not going to get any younger. If ya got 'em, shoot 'em.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Good range report! Your story makes me want to take mine and drive to the range myself. Tell me, are you going to work on that guys 6" Python? :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good for you. Great guns are made to be shot, and the Python is a great gun. Many of my friends think I am crazy for shooting my 3rd gen Colt Single Action Army .357. No way, I love shooting it. I only shoot .38 Specials in it though as I don't want to loosen the gun up. It is still as pretty as the day I bought it 35 years ago.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I love your analogy of driving a fine car and shooting the Python. As a long time collector of cars I found myself babying them, keeping them sheltered and with low mileage, just to sell them to someone else who was going to get that enjoyement instead of me. Eye opening!

Your point is well take; Ferrari's were made to drive; Pythons to shoot. (Just don't shoot your Python out of the window of a Ferrari while driving! :cool:)

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Bless your heart for showing restraint with the fella wanting his action tuned. I shoot the Pythons on the ranch now as the one time I took one to the range I had 4 fellas lined up watching me shoot and asking me if they could squeeze off a few. I'm a friendly enough kinda fella but some things just are sacred unless it's one of my children shooting. As for the AK...been on the wrong side (was a 47) figuratively and brass sprayin (was a 74). The brass wasn't any fun and I fortunately escaped the business end of the 47. Great range story and gas be damned...get out and shoot em :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts