Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious about this:
Are there any other Colt revolvers whose inside parts are the same as a Python and work the same way as a Python? If not, which revolver would be the closest to a Python?
Thanks.​

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,466 Posts
All Colt medium frame revolvers from 1908 to 1969 used the same action and work the same way.
Guns in this series, often called the "E&I" frame models are:
Army Special.
Official Police.
Officer's Models.
Original Trooper.
357 Model.
Python.

Other than that the "E" frame models have firing pins on the hammer, and the "I" frame Trooper, 357, and Python have the firing pin in the frame, the actions are exactly the same.

The small frame Colt's like the Detective Special, Cobra, Diamondback etc. and the large Frame New Service models also work the same, just with larger or smaller frames and slight differences in some parts.

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
To expand a bit on what DFW has posted, except for the single shot Camp Perry target pistols, all following E-frame and I-frame revolvers have the same lock work: Army Special, Official Police, Officers Model, Camp Perry, Officers Model Target, Commando, Officers Model Special, Border Patrol, Officers Model Match, Marshal, Trooper, “357,” Python.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,466 Posts
The medium frame models listed above used the same hand.....BUT, hands are totally hand fitted and adjusted parts and don't come even close to being drop-in parts.
In addition, any hand you get will be a used part or a largely unfinished "replica", new hands are virtually unobtainable.
The used part may not be usable at all in a different gun and the replica part will require extensive work to get it in shape before you can even start to fit and adjust it.

If you're having timing problems the first option is to stretch the hand. This is not done where or how you might think so either send it in to Colt or Frank Glenn in Arizona.
If you really want to try it yourself, buy the Jerry Kuhnhausen Shop Manual Volume One on the Colt's from Brownell's.
This is a real pistolsmithing shop manual that shows in detail how this is done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.