Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told a friend I wanted the XSE Commander, and he asked if it had the Swartz firing pin safety ??

Am I confusing the Model 70 with the Model 80?

My O1091 is a model 80, I think.
I owned a Double Eagle CC .40S&W for a while. That said Model 90 Mk II.

Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,693 Posts
Colt never used the "Swartz" safety after the experiments with it.
Colt invented a newer, (most people say better) firing pin safety for the Series 80 models.

I understand Kimber uses a variation on the Swartz, and have had problems with it.
As far as I know, the new Colt XSE will have the Series 80 firing pin safety.

The Colt safety is activated by the trigger. When the trigger is pulled, a lever system presses the firing pin lock in the slide up, unlocking the firing pin.

As I remember, the Swartz/Kimber safety is activated by the grip safety. When the grip safety is depressed, the firing pin lock is pressed up.

As a guess, I suspect Kimber used a variation on the Swartz for two reasons.
One was to eliminate any effects on the trigger pull like some claim on the Colt type.

Two, was simply to be different than Colt, and to avoid any patent violations.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
With all due respect, Colt most certainly did use the Swartz system from the late 1930's until commercial production ended for WWII. Even the 6,500 pistols transfered to the military contract from commercial production had the system. Colt removed the parts but the Swartz cuts are still there. Same with many of the guns shipped to Latin America. Colt let the patent expire in the 1950's and designed a new system for the Series 80 guns.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts